Possible to turn OFF - or simply ignore and not run - built-in sound ???

CurlSnout

Henna Gaijin
I have a temporary layout that I run in DC mode. I've never had anything DCC-equipped, but there is a BLI model (E6) that I crave and it only comes in the DC/DCC flavor. For whatever reason(s), I have no interest in the fact that it comes equipped with sound, and I would prefer to run it in "stealth" mode (no sound).

My question is this: Do I have to run the sound? Can I just treat it as a standard DC model and ignore the sound? Or will it make sound whether I want it to or not?

Thanks in any case,

CS

Last edited by a moderator:
Unplug the speakers. If you ever decide to use the sound, simply plug them back in.

Without a DCC throttle, with the function buttons, you can't turn it off in DC. But if you do as Terry said and unplug the speaker wires, the sound will go away.

Unplugging the speakers makes sense and sounds (no pun intended) straightforward (?). Thanks for the speedy replies.

CS

If you have any doubt, the plug for the speaker wire has a small "SP" printed next to it.

I'm sorry but I just don't understand why some people who don't like sound. Without sound to me it just makes the loco look fake and toy like.

Every single loco I own has sound and I love it. Of course that doesn't mean I have 28 locos all with sounds on at the same time. The most I've run is 4-5 locos, two different trains.

Silent locos just remind me of my Tyco train sets as a kid.

Sound decoders require around 6 to 7 volts to activate the sound system when using them on straight DC. They are configured to not move until the sound has started. So even if you just unplug the speaker, your engine will still require the same 6 to 7 volts before it will even move - which may be rather frustrating to operate like that.

If you never plan on using the sound decoder, you would be further ahead to completely remove the decoder altogether and wire the engine as per a normal DC engine. That way you would get the proper throttle response you would from any other DC engines. You could probably even sell the sound decoder to recoup some of your investment.

Mark.

You could also consider turning the volume way down so its just barely audible. That way you can have sound without it being over whelming.

You could also consider turning the volume way down so its just barely audible. That way you can have sound without it being over whelming.

That doesn't work very well without a DCC system of some kind. If the engine has a volume pot, it might help, but the reed switch types are very difficult to adjust, and if you are not careful, you will end up resetting everything, including the volume.

If you NEVER plan to run DCC removing the decoder and hard-wiring the motor to the two rail pickups would be the way to go. However, you never know...so, I would agree, the simplest way to eliminate the sound is to disconnect the speakers. Personally, I think sound is kinda neat, and I have several diesel and two steam locomotives that run on DCC/Sound. But I also have more than 50 other locomotives, collected over nearly 60 years (WOW! has it been that long), which are DC only. I have no plans to convert them to DCC/Sound for expense and time considerations. So, I run two different power packs: one DCC and one DC and use a DPDT toggle on the control panel to be sure I don't fry DC motors by inadvertantly turning on the DCC pack. Since I run only one train at a time, this works fine for me.

i would just buy a simple dcc controller and run with sound off. the control of you engines mechanical operation would be much more realistic. then you would have the option of the sound later if you cahnge your mind. the loco will be so much more usable even without sound.

I ran into that DCC vs. DC problem as well with a silly Bachmann GE 70 ton switcher. I found it was possible to excise the unwanted circut board entirely, re-wire the two power trucks together paralell, and store the unneeded pieces in a sandwich bag, placed in the original box. No problems.

I'm sorry but I just don't understand why some people who don't like sound. Without sound to me it just makes the loco look fake and toy like.

Every single loco I own has sound and I love it. Of course that doesn't mean I have 28 locos all with sounds on at the same time. The most I've run is 4-5 locos, two different trains.

Silent locos just remind me of my Tyco train sets as a kid.

Motley,
I understand. IMHO, I like sound, which has only recently (for me) been available. OTOH, sound requires DCC, which can complicate things. It is not for everybody, however. With over 50 locomotives, steam and diesel that I've accumulated over the last sixty years, there is NO WAY I could convert them to DCC & sound, either from a cost basis or time-wise. Frankly, I've had some DC locomotives that operate much smoother on DC, without DCC decoders and sound. There can be a number of reasons why someone may not want sound or the complications of DCC run on DC. The simple suggestions of unplugging the speakers was one solution proposed to him. Disconnecting and removing the decoder was another. Because of the higher voltages needed to get a DCC-equipped motor running on DC, I'd probably opt for the later myself.

No offense intended. You run 'em the way you like. If I win the lottery, you'd be welcome to convert the DC-only locos for me. In point of fact, I used to run some of my steamers on HO modulars years ago. They are primarily DC, with Canon coreless motors. I'm told that even with DCC & sound, these motors sometimes overheat. Since they don't make them anymore, I probably won't convert them to DCC & sound, though it would sure be neat to do so. (Does anyone every say "neat" anymore?) Too bad, I used to double-head a pair of Mantua 2-10-2's converted from 2-8-2's. But without DCC I guess I'd be out of luck. :( I'm in the Denver area, too, so I might see you at a show sometime.

Green board all the way!

Back