Polly S Paints?

EdwardC

I am getting back into the hobby after being away for a few years and I am finishing (finally) a project I started some time back. I used to use the Floquil brand of paints but the LHS carries Polly S. How is this paint for airbrushing styrene plastic? Is a primer needed? Is it "scale" paint in its finish?

Thanks for the help

Edward

Polly S is water soluble so you use water as a thinner when spraying with an air brush. You have to be careful about getting the right dilution mix or you can have problems with bubbles or the paint not sticking. The color selection is actually better than the old Floquil line of solvent based paint and it's much easier to keep your airbrush clean without using a bunch of solvents, all which present significant health risks if they are not used in a well ventilated area. The finish is just as good as the Floquil solvent based paint. I've switched to mostly Polly S paint and I'm well pleased with the results.

My experience with Polly S paints is good. It's "almost" all I use. I do have a few Floquil paints leftover from years ago. They spray nicely, but to thin them I use car windshield washer fluid. The cheap blue stuff is fine. I was at a hobby shop a few years back and heard someone ask about Polly S's paint thinner in a little bottle. They said "it looks like windshield washer fluid"... well the owner said "he's trying to sell product, but he won't deny the accusation". Well after that day I went to True Value and bought a 1 Gallon bottle of washer fluid for $2 instead of $5 for Polly S's 8oz bottle. Hmm:rolleyes: ? Does that make economical sense? And in an emergency YOU CAN PUT IT IN YOUR CAR TO CLEAN THE WINDOWS!!! WOW! What a bargain.

Never hear that one either, Ron. I've been using distilled water because I never thought the Polly S thinner did any better job. I'l have to give the windshield washer fluid a try. I guess it's mostly water with some detergent and alcohol, which is probably a good combination for thinning.

Back