Police and fire call boxes

I'm doing a small town layout era mid to late 40's to 1960 something. Did they still have police and fire call boxes in the little towns? Or were they pretty much a big city item? Thanks in advance for your response.

Mike

I don't recall any of the boroughs or townships around here having call boxes in that time frame, but the city of Pittsburgh did. I'm also not sure of the dates, but I think Pittsburgh fire boxes were phased out in the 70s or 80s. Police call boxes were probably phased out earlier with the advent of radios in the car. On the other hand, I'm sure some little town somewhere thought it would be a good idea to put call boxes in service.

Tom

Thanks. I might put one or two in the downtown if I think the downtown needs more "junk" on the streets. haha

I think you're probably on point there. The investment in call boxes isn't really justified unless it's in an area where there is a dense population and higher demand for services. If a smaller town could justify them at all, it would definitely be in the downtown business and shopping district where people would congregate in greater numbers.

Thanks Mike,
The call boxes came with a Woodlands Scenic set. I needed the fire hydrants and the two mail boxes. The police and fire call boxes were part of the set so even when I ordered them I wasn't sure if I would use them or not. I know, it's my town and my railroad but at this point I'm thinking they might be out of place. I know what I can do, when I get the downtown finished (I'm just about there, just need to wire and install lighting) I'll post again and see what people think. See? There's a plan for everything. Isn't there?

Mike

Could you use them as some type of electrical junction box? There were always odd things attached to utility poles or mounted on sidewalks. If you have traffic lights, could it be used as a control box?

Mike - I just thought of something. If you have a fire station, police station or a municipal building, you could put a fire call box near the main door. In some smaller communities, pulling the box would set off a siren to alert volunteers. A police call box could notify a county or district dispatcher in a remote location to radio the police & have them respond to the station. These methods, or something like them are in use even today.

Tom

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, now. I don't recall Andy and Barnie having any in Mayberry. But then, I think they did have a radio in the squad car! ;)

Back