Plywood vs OSB vs MDF

elsner203

What do you guys prefer to use on your layout? Mine will be in dry, air conditioned room. I live in Phoenix, so I can't emphasize the DRY part enough.

Recommendations? I'm going to be using 2x6 lumber for the frame and 4x4 for the legs. Layout measures 48"x72"

Thanks in advance.

I hate cutting MDF, the dust is nasty, and it can be a pig to drive screws into. Plywood all the way in my opinion.

Sent from my Vic20 using Java Moose

I have to ask but why 2 X 6's and 4 X 4's ? That is going to be so heavy I hope you never have to move it at all. I am on my second layout and both times have built the frame out of 1 X 4's and the legs are L'd 1 X 4's and it is plenty stiff and strong. I'm around 235-40lbs and have had to lean on the top of mine many times and have not had any problems at all. My first was a 4 X 8 layout also and the current one is around the room 10 X 14. As for the top are you going to use any foam over the ply ? I just screwed down 1/4 ply with 1 inch foam over it and went from there with the roadbed,track and scenery. And mine is also in the house in a full time conditioned room.

I like the idea of the 4x4 for stability and the idea that I can use a brace in the corner and remove the 4x4 when I need to move the layout. I'll probably only have to move it 1-2 times per year, at most.

Also, I'm paranoid about having a wobbly table. I'd rather go heavy than wobbly and/or unstable.

I like the idea of the 1x4s. Never thought of that. Definitely worth exploring.

Well here is a couple of pictures of the large table being built in sections just so you have an idea of what it would look like.

DSCF8222_zps259f8f03.jpg

DSCF8223_zps1a49e7d0.jpg

DSCF8229_zpsd047a6f8.jpg

DSCF8232_zps9abcd967.jpg

Hope these help

David

It's your layout so whatever you want goes BUT 2x6 and 4x4 is WAY overkill.

I also use 1x4 in much that same was as the other poster - more then adequate.

Ok, totally scratching the 2x6s and 4x4s.

Thanks for your help guys. Definitely changing the plan and going with the 1x4s!

Here is what I use, and how it goes together. I use reasonably decent 1X4 spruce or pine that I select out on the wood pile in ten foot lengths. The store understands and is indulgent while I take the pile apart to find what I want. They know what I intend to use it for. The legs are 1X2 which are really smaller in cross-section, as most milled lumber really is. The legs are blocked into corners with bits of scrap 1X2 cut to size and screwed together. You can see one of those blocked leg tops at lower centre-left of the photo.

DSCF1687cr.png

The operating surface is cheapo siding quality 1/2" pine, and so is the sub-roadbed, or cookie-cutter elements on risers. The plywood is rough, sure, but once you have it scenicked, who cares? You just want it to look good and to have integrity. I give it integrity by not having gaps between risers greater than about 12".

I used a single sheet of 1/4" MDF, a 4X8 sheet, ripped into 15/16" strips along the long axis. I got many 8' lengths of MDF splines that way and did my whole railroad sub-roadbed six-ply. It had to be pre-drilled in order to drive a screw. On its side, it was impossible to drive a track spike into it. I like using it for its literal flexibility, say as guides or fences along facia, or even as fascia. Otherwise, except for splines, it does not support itself well, it will sag, and it creates tons of fine sawdust.

Legs heavier than 1X2 are really unnecessarily expensive and heavy. They need bracing, but so will your 2X4.

I would not use OSB.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes as was said above if your going to Home Depot they have the 1 X 4's in the bins and just take your time and check them for being true on all sides and the fewer/smaller the knots the better. I used to do wood working for craft shows and have spent well over 2 hours going through the different size bins getting what I wanted not just what they wanted to sell. Some of the wood I used in the pictures were reused from my first layout and more were from my lumber rack in my garage left over from the wood working shop and have there for at least 2 years and were still straight and true.

Last edited by a moderator:
The guys at my usual Home Depot are pretty cool. They'll let me pick through stuff as much as I want.

When I finished my garage and built my workshop area inside, I had to buy a bunch of lumber. One of the guys even helped me pick through it!

Stoker, is HD my best bet or is there a better lumber option in our area? (we don't live too far from each other, if I recall)

I got my materials from a independent building supply house near me - I asked them for the best 1x4 stuff they had and the quality of the lumber was much better. They also understood the different grades of plywood and helped me chose the right grade for my needs.

When you guys say "ripped" are you saying that you cut the 4'x8' into long strips?

I went by HD yesterday and picked through the 1x4 pile. I found some good straight boards. I also got a long "2x2" and had them cut it into 3" sections to be used as corner blocks. I started trimming my boards last night and plan to put them together today.

As soon as I can get it in the budget, I'll buy the plywood top and some boards for legs.

Back