Please Help a Newbie - Question about Micro-Trains Truck Conversions

Nscale

Hi everyone.

I'd like to replace the trucks on all of my N scale rolling stock with Micro-Trains trucks. Originally I was just going to replace the couplers with MT Magne-Matic couplers, however being relatively new to the hobby, the process of assembling and attaching the couplers (and doing it properly) seemed a little daunting to me, so I've decided to just go ahead and add MT trucks where the couplers are already pre-assembled and ready to go.

Micro-Trains does have the conversion charts to show which couplers and/or trucks to use with which manufacturer and product, however I can't find specifics for much of my rolling stock on their charts. The only car for which I've found specific information is my Kato BethGon Coalporter which can use MT's #1030 truck. However, I also have some Atlas Trainman, Bachmann, Walthers, and Model Power rolling stock which I'd like to convert but which aren't listed on any of their conversion charts, so I really don't know which trucks to buy. It looks like MT's #1035 truck is listed frequently for Atlas rolling stock, but without my specific cars listed, is there any way for me to know for sure?

Also, I noticed in the conversion charts that truck replacement numbers aren't listed for some of the cars and rolling stock. Does this mean that there are some cars and rolling stock that can't be converted to any of MT's trucks?

Thanks in advance to anyone who might be able to help!

There's enough different designs that something is bound to fit any car you care to attempt conversion on. I'm pretty sure that they provide a profile shot with measurements for all their trucks, so take a look and measure it up with what you want to replace.

I bought some Bettendorf trucks recently based solely on the fact that they looked the same as the trucks I wanted to replace on some Athearn cars. All the cars took them without issue with one exception, as the trucks on this car have a slightly longer wheelbase to clear some undercarriage detailing in turns. Technically the MT trucks fit fine, the car just couldn't go around corners anymore. :p They also come with a variety of different kingpins and shims to cover just about any mounting design cars can have.

Before you get into this, I would ask yourself exactly why you want to convert them. I converted my Athearn ones because they didn't roll as well as I'd like and because I don't like McHenry couplers. They're all much better now as a result of the conversion, but they don't roll or couple any better (or worse) than my Atlas rolling stock. Just some food for thought because the trucks aren't super cheap.

Hey NScale,

Let's forget about part numbers for a minute, shall we? MT trucks really only come in a 3 simple varieties. Short, medium, and long extension couplers. The only difference between a 1000 Bettendorf short extension and a 1030 Barber Roller Bearing short extension is cosmetic. The Bettendorf is a circa early 1900's while the Barber is modern, but either will fit anything which uses a short extension. The Micro trains website has all the descriptions on what is what.

So which length extension do you use then? The simple answer is eye ball it. Have a look at the MT technical diagram and compare what you're swapping out to the chart. I find the short extensions are the most common. But if you are just getting started (as I am) grab yourself some sample packs (1000S, 1018S, 1030S, etc.). They have all 3 lengths, short, med, long, in one pack. But I bet you'll use more shorts so grab some extras of those.

You may find the hole in the MT coupler is too tight to mount on your rolling stock. It's nothing a careful bit of drilling can't fix. Just stay on really low power and rout out the hole a little.

I get my trucks through ModelTrainStuff.com which have the best prices I've found. Although I haven't found the sample packs there. I get those through FiferHobby.com

Edit: If reference to TJO's comment above, I second the idea that not ALL couplers really need to be swapped out. I only swap them if I'm having trouble or to get rid of rapidos. (I do change out my Atlas Accumates though because the trigger pin is too low for the magnetic uncoupler if you set to at the height MT recommends).

Last edited by a moderator:
Before you get into this, I would ask yourself exactly why you want to convert them. I converted my Athearn ones because they didn't roll as well as I'd like and because I don't like McHenry couplers. They're all much better now as a result of the conversion, but they don't roll or couple any better (or worse) than my Atlas rolling stock. Just some food for thought because the trucks aren't super cheap.

Good point. Some of my rolling stock didn't come from the factory with magnetic couplers, and I'd like to be able to add uncoupling functionality to my layout, so I'd like to convert the cars that currently don't have magnetic couplers.

Back