Plaster Paris question

oplholik

I like using this, it's cheap, and easy. I coat paper towel strips with it for forming hills and mountains over waded up news paper, however the stuff I've been getting is setting up too fast for my liking. Not enough time to get many paper towel strips coated and in place. Is there any thing else that can be used in it's place, or something to add to the mix to slow the setting up time? Thanks.

I like using this, it's cheap, and easy. I coat paper towel strips with it for forming hills and mountains over waded up news paper, however the stuff I've been getting is setting up too fast for my liking. Not enough time to get many paper towel strips coated and in place. Is there any thing else that can be used in it's place, or something to add to the mix to slow the setting up time? Thanks.

add vinegar to retard the setting time

.. while Alum will reduce the time required and make it harder. That's what I read anyhoo .. picked up some Alum at the grocery store and am going to try it .. see what happens.

And make sure the mixing container is cleaned of any old Plaster of Paris. It seems that residue from a previous batch hastens the hardening.

I use joint compound. It is $10 for a 5 gallon bucket. Done in layers it is just a hard. It takes a bit of time to dry but works well. Diluted a bit and mix with a paddle mixer.

I use newspaper and old window screens. Form your base with chicken wire. Do a couple coat with newspaper. Then smear it good with joint compound and press in window screen. Another layer or two of newpaper and you can walk on it.

Back