Plaster cloth

rzw0wr

Newbie Switchman
I don't know if others have tried this.

I thought WS plaster cloth was a little to costly for me.
So, I decided to try to make my own.

After a little experimenting I think I have something that works well.
I have never used WS plaster cloth so I don't know how well it stacks up against my home brew.

I purchased some veterinarian gauze and a bag of Plaster of Paris.

After a few tries to get the mixture correct I think it works pretty good.

I don't remember the cost but I do remember at the time is was way cheaper than plaster cloth from WS.

Dale

Cool, thats how they did casts back in the day before the prefab stuff.
I've never tried the WS stuff either but I get the equivalent from medical supply stores.

Actually WS plaster cloth is not that expensive when you figure the cost of running around and buying everything else. I guess it is your choice, but at the price, WS is fast, convenient and easy to work with with no additional mess.

You cut it to size, dip in water, and apply. Then smooth it down and wet it as you go and the plaster embedded in it melts into the whole. Nice and neat.

I just can't imagine the mess using anything else, and how do you mix it up? Dip in the gauze .. then ??? What about setting time? How long do you have open before the thing turns into a solid mass?

Sorry, but for my money, time and experience, just go with the woodland scenics products and be done with it.

The Aerojet

I think you can do fine with Amazon. You can get 4 pounds of Plaster of Paris for $10 (they have a 25 pound bag too) and a pack of 24 rolls gauze (4 yards x 4") for under $10. If you get enough stuff to qualify you can get free shipping too.

https://www.amazon.com/10308-4-Poun...&qid=1482243183&sr=8-3&keywords=plaster+paris

https://www.amazon.com/Pac-Kit-Firs...F8&qid=1482243151&sr=8-4&keywords=gauze+rolls

Thant's not much running around and more plaster cloth then you'll most likely need.

Dave

Last edited by a moderator:
I did not run anywhere but Lowe's.
I found the gauze on the internet.

Not really any mess.

But, to each his own.

Just thought I would through it out there.

Not a problem Dave.
I found my gauze from a veterinarian supply house.
48 rolls 6" wide x 120".

Rico
Also found plaster cloth online. 3, 4 or 6" wide x 180"
3 rolls $19.00, free shipping.
Might be the same stuff.

I just figured out what I had invested in my plaster cloth.
Gauze = $16.00 + shipping
Plaster of Paris (25lbs) = $11.00 + trip to Lowe's.

192 yards = $27.00 + shipping and trip.
Let's us say $50.00.
$0.26 a yard.

WS plaster cloth to equal 192 yards.

$518.00 + shipping.

$2.70 a yard

Hmmmmm worth the little mess to me.

Dale

Last edited by a moderator:
I did notice many different options with the gauze rolls but I just picked one that was free shipping on Amazon and show the options. Me I would buy my Plaster of Paris from the craft supply store with one of those 40% coupons. That's cheap. And don't forget to check out what the gauze would cost at walliworld.

Dave

Thanks Dave.
I think I have enough gauze and plaster for all I need. And maybe some left over.

Dale

Back