Plan Feedback for N Scale Switching Micro Layout

ameger1

Hello all-

I'm getting back into the hobby after a few years and looking to build my second permanent layout. I'm currently living in a small apartment and 6" x 48" is about the most real estate I have available, so I've decided to construct an N scale micro layout to operate on.

My previous layout was a childhood-built HO 4x8 tail chaser, and I've not designed a switching layout before. Through some research plus trial and error, I sketched up this Kato Unitrack track plan serving 3 industries. Basically, the layout would be "staged" on the interchange track by an imaginary train from off the layout with 3-4 cars, which would be switched by a local switcher, swapping out various cars for empties at the 3 industries with 1-3 car spots each. Not every car would be switched during an operating session.

Does this feel too ambitious for the space provided? I feel like I could definitely just go with a simple (and fun) Inglenook in this space, but I'm hoping for something with a little more operational interest/prototypical fidelity. Any feedback on the track plan would be appreciated from those who have built and operated on switching layouts before, especially if I've made any glaring errors.

Attachments

• DraftShelfLayoutPlan.png
    DraftShelfLayoutPlan.png
    38.3 KB · Views: 24
I really don't see anything wrong with it. Matter of fact, I rather like it! I think you're on the right track (both 'pun'y and appropriate) as far as operational interest/prototypical fidelity goes. Which to me, makes complete sense for any kind of layout, including switching types.

I'd eliminate the turnout on the mainline, and replace the crossing with a left hand turnout. It will do what you are doing now, with less complexity and less chance for a derailment. There will also be a slightly longer spot to park rolling stock on the main and siding while switching.

Back