Plain latex-acrylic caulk

DairyStateDad

Mumbling in the corner
Cheapest variety at the store. So, is it foam-safe?

The label doesn't say it is, but it doesn't say it isn't, either.

From the DairyStatePhone

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1397080230920.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1397080230920.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 163
Some where on the tube should be a list of the chemicals used to make it. Have a look and see if there are any petroleum based ones. If there aren't, you should be good to go BUT, I'd try it on a scrap bit of foam first, just to make sure one way or the other.

Ingredients: Calcium Carbonate, Acrylic Emulsion, Benzoate Ester, Propylene Glycol, water. And it cleans up with water, so that suggests no petroleum-based solvents.

I did buy a tube, and decided I'd try it on some scrap foam. (If it's not safe for the foam -- how soon will I notice? Is it like, instant melting, or does it take time?)

I used liquid nails for projects to attach the foam to the benchwork, but I'm cheap and if I can spend less, I will...

So right before I went up for lunch I smeared some caulk on a scrap piece of foam. Ate lunch, giving it about 20-30 minutes to do whatever it was gonna do. Far as I can tell, it's fine. I'm assuming if it wasn't I'd know by now...

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1397154396696.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1397154396696.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 155
NO I think your fine using it. I'm sure it is the same as the DAAP product just with a lower cost. If you want to save a little more you can get the same type product from Walmart at a lower cost than Ace Hardware.

Thanks. I gave it another look and it does seem completely fine, so I decided it was 'safe' and have used it to put down one segment of cork roadbed. I've applied the caulk, put down the roadbed,, pinned it place and weighted it down with some of DairyStateMom's canned jam and BBQ sauce :).

Back