Pics of my injured MRC/Lima Monon C420

malletman

Alcohaulic
Here are a couple of pics of my injured Monon C420. I think someone with either a C420 shell or good scratch building skills might be able to save this shell. From what I am gathering, these shells are harder to come by and I dont want to retire the unit. I am betting the atlas hand rails will fit, but the newer Atlas shells wont work, the pilots are part of the diecast frame, the shell is held on by the two screws that hold the couplers in place. If someone had a good Lima or Rivarossi shell that had other damage, one could notch out the bad section with a fine saw, then patch in the new body part, mask and respray the unit, kind of like the rear RR's do when one gets bashed up. Anybody up for helping me save my unit? Thanks in advance. Mike T
DSC00133.png

DSC00134.png

If you could find a shell cheap with front end damage, you could cut off the rear of both shells and replace the damaged section. Otherwise, that damage is to extensive to repair by using styren to fill that hole. You'd lose all the detail and I don't think it would ever look right. If you're able to find a shell, I'd plan on repainting the whole unit since it looks like the paint is rough shape on other parts of the unit as well.

Yes, she would have to go to someone to get a total repaint. Its beyond my skills to properly mask the unit to get a quality job. Only thing I am finding are complete and running engines right now. I am told the MRC/Lima and Rivarossi shells will work on my chassis. Thanks Mike

I could help you with the repairs.
I do custom model building and have fixed a couple of damaged units in the past.
Send me a private message and I will give you my number.

I'm going to guess that this particular baby has seen her share of children and time?

I place the restoration on how well the chassis works. If the loco runs smooth and solid, git'r'done.

Oooh! right on the snozz, that hurts. I've seen and done worse with one of mine, now I'd have to take the shell off to see which one it was. Most important factor, Do you have all the pieces? A full paint job may not be necessary seems to have some break lines for painting if you have the proper shade of paint.

Cheers
Willis

See my e-mail off HOYARDSALE

I've got one that has cracked axle gears, but otherwise runs smooth. Shell is in good shape...just needs paint. Is in a ugly kind of undecorated. Has handrails and everything.

Phil

Phil, I will email you shortly on your unit. No I dont have all the pieces, this happend to a previous owner and not to me. If I had all the pieces, I could put it back together again. The chassis runs awsome, no gear issues yet. I ran it tonight at club for over an hour with no problems, just cosmetic issues. I have the NWSL numbers for the replacment wheelsets with gears if they are still avaible. Seems like some of them did it, and others didnt crack thier gears.

I am going to get the one from Phil, use its shell to replace mine. I emailed NWSL to see if the wheelsets are still avaible, if so I will pick up about 3 sets. I am planning a pair of Monon and I should have a bicentenial unit soon. But I dont want to repaint that one. The Monons need nose mars lights installed. Both will be functional mars lights to. My main interest out at club is the logging operation. But I want a nice pair of diesels for when I go play on the main line. And I have a thing for older production power. Granted I could go get the new Atlas Monon units. But I will have 2 MRC units with working mars lights for less when I get done. Cheers and thanks guys. Mike

Back