Picked up a Proto 2000 SW9 for the layout

The full part will be figuring out how to put DCC and sound into it.

That's a good model, especially if you got a later one, after the early blue box runs with the mangled handrails. DCC & Sound? If I were doing one today I'd use a Lok Sound Micro and a sugar cube speaker. Both are so small that minimal chassis mods would be required. Some guys put everything in the cab, but I'd prefer to keep that detail if it was me.

That's a good model, especially if you got a later one, after the early blue box runs with the mangled handrails. DCC & Sound? If I were doing one today I'd use a Lok Sound Micro and a sugar cube speaker. Both are so small that minimal chassis mods would be required. Some guys put everything in the cab, but I'd prefer to keep that detail if it was me.

Espeefan is correct in his recommendations for a sound decoder and speaker. I installed a standard decoder in a similar model and it was a task. I have others that I'll use the smaller decoders and speakers. I maybe incorrect, but I believe was a standard decoder that was design especially for the Proto 2000 SW9.

Also, doesn't the motor on this Proto model need to be isolated from the frame when installing any type of decoder?

I sure like that Great Northern color scheme.

Espeefan is correct in his recommendations for a sound decoder and speaker. I installed a standard decoder in a similar model and it was a task. I have others that I'll use the smaller decoders and speakers. I maybe incorrect, but I believe was a standard decoder that was design especially for the Proto 2000 SW9.

Also, doesn't the motor on this Proto model need to be isolated from the frame when installing any type of decoder?

It looks like the motor is already isolated, but I haven't checked it electrically to be sure yet. I was looking at the LokSound Micro and a sugarcube that would fit in the cab roof. The issue I have with the LokSound is that it appears that you need the programmer to load the sound files, is this true, or can you buy them somewhere with the correct file loaded already?

Also, there is an NCE decoder that I've found that is made to replace the light board in the unit, but it doesn't have sound.

I installed that NCE decoder in mine. It’s made to replace the factory board. The motor is already isolated. It’s the old KatonNW2 that wasn’t isolated. Yes you do have to have the programmer to load sound files. It costs a few bucks but is well worth it if you’re going to do sound. Of course if you know someone that has one you could let them download the sound for you. They come with generic sound files loaded but you can get the specific file for the SW-9

I know someone makes speakers in various shapes, including curved to fit the cab roof, but do you think I can find the link now? Noooooooooooooo...........................
Maybe someone else knows who it is.

I installed that NCE decoder in mine. It’s made to replace the factory board. The motor is already isolated. It’s the old KatonNW2 that wasn’t isolated. Yes you do have to have the programmer to load sound files. It costs a few bucks but is well worth it if you’re going to do sound. Of course if you know someone that has one you could let them download the sound for you. They come with generic sound files loaded but you can get the specific file for the SW-9

I'm a big Tsunami fan, so I'm not sure I want another system that I need to deal with.

I know someone makes speakers in various shapes, including curved to fit the cab roof, but do you think I can find the link now? Noooooooooooooo...........................
Maybe someone else knows who it is.

I already found the cab roof speaker. It's here: https://store.sbs4dcc.com/SBS4DCCSugarCubeSpeaker11x15mm8ohm1wattw/HOCabRoofSoundCham.aspx

You can get the Lok Sound Micro loaded with the correct sound file, or you can get it blank and load it yourself. The programmer is nice to have, but it isn't a must. I'm a big Tsunami fan myself. I have more of them than anything else. Still, I'm finding you get more capability with the Lok Sound, and it's totally compatible. You can program it off the handset of your system, with JMRI, or with their Lok Programmer. You don't have to worry about compatibility. If you ever decide you do want their programmer, I got mine for $139.95 from The Yankee Dabbler. That's not much more than a sound decoder and speaker.

Back