Personalized Signage for Structures

Raincoat2

Have time for a newbie question? (One of these days I'll stop being a newbie, just not sure when that will be :rolleyes: ):
Most business structure kits come with decals for the name of the business and other signs to go on the building. Most often we don't want to use the business name that comes with it, we have our own ideas for names. So what do you guys/gals do for personalized signage? What works best? So far, all I've done is color print from my computer to white paper and cut it out to fit the sign area. I know there are peel-and-stick letters in all sizes, but it seems to me there's a large possibility for error with them (measuring, spacing, etc). I'm sure there are other approaches, but I'm still new to the hobby and would rather learn from the experts. Thanks.

I use my 'puter to print them out. I'll usually try to use strip wood to frame it and then put it on the building. There are a number of different fonts available on the computer using the "word" program.

I use my 'puter to print them out. I'll usually try to use strip wood to frame it and then put it on the building. There are a number of different fonts available on the computer using the "word" program.

Chet - Right. that's what I've done so far.

I'm wondering if there are decal-type transparencies or peel-off clear plastic that can be run through a printer and print to those directly from a computer. Have never looked for anything like that, so wondered if that was a possibility.

There is a way to print custom decals on your computer, but I have never tried it and have no idea how it is dome.

Well, that was easy to check out - - Go to onlinelabels.com and you can find a product called Sticker Paper, 100 sheets of 8 1/2 X 11 for $12.95. You can print with laser or inkjet printers and these have a peel-off back. They are available in white, clear, and a whole bunch of color backings. Other places, like Office Depot/Office Max may also carry this kind of stuff. I may give this a try. Anyone else out there used this?

As an aside, I've been an Online Labels customer for over 10 years. They provide a high quality product at reasonable prices. Standard disclaimer: not associated with the business, just a satisfied customer. If using label stock, use the "Aggressive" adhesive option if available.

And I have used both options. I've printed signs on plain paper with both the inkjet and laser. That method tends to work best for wall signage. There are all sorts on online and YouTube tutorials on how to make and apply then. I use clear decal stock for windows, vehicles, etc. It does take a little getting used to, as all decals do, but once learned, its truly easy. The hardest part is filling enough of a sheet for the printer to handle (3" x 5" on my printer).

Back