Peco PL-11 side mounting turnout motor

Hello Happy Members and Merry Christmas to all !
I want to use a Peco PL-11 side mounting turnout motor but I don't know how to wire it.
What type of switch should I use? Does it work in DC or AC ? What voltage ? Thanks for your help.

index.php

While I am not familiar with the Peco switch machines per se, I would appear to be a dual-solenoid type like the Atlas switch machines. In other words, there are two coils inside the housing, with a steel rod that connects to the throwbar via levers. From the look of the wires, it would appear that the green wire is common to both coils, with the red wire to connect to one coil and the black wire to the other. I CANNOT swear that the black wire isn't the common, however. Regardless, power is to be applied MOMENTARILY when activating the machine.

Usually, one hooks the common wire to one connection of the AC accessory of a power pack. You need either two momentary pushbuttons or a Single Pole Double Throw (SPDT) SPRING-LOADED Center-OFF toggle switch. Either wire one connection from each pushbutton together, and connect that wire to the other connection on the powerpack. The other side of one pushbutton is connected to the red wire from the switch machine and the green wire to the other pushbutton. If you use the springloaded toggle, connect the center pole to the powerpack and the green wire to one pole of the toggle and the red wire to the other. Test these connects to see they operate the switch machine in the direction you want the points to throw. Be SURE not to have power going to the solenoids continuously or you will burn them out! Hope this helps!
Merry Christmas and a Happy, Healthy and Safe New Year.

While I am not familiar with the Peco switch machines per se, I would appear to be a dual-solenoid type like the Atlas switch machines. In other words, there are two coils inside the housing, with a steel rod that connects to the throwbar via levers. From the look of the wires, it would appear that the green wire is common to both coils, with the red wire to connect to one coil and the black wire to the other. I CANNOT swear that the black wire isn't the common,
OK, Christian, I'll repeat my answer here as well

You need a 12/16v DC power supply and a momentary switch like the PL26, there are other switches you can use, like an SPDT switch, but it MUST be a momentary switch (unless you want to buy another point motor because another type of switch will continue to power the point motor and will burn it out.)

Red/Black are your Left/Right wires from the switch, Green is your Negative/Ground wire, nearly all my point motors are PL11's, have fun :)

Last edited:

Back