Peco "Elecro Frog" Turnouts; points contact issues

videobruce

Tower Operator
I'm having problems with the points of these Peco turnouts failing as far as electrical contacts. I have used 99% Isopropyl Alcohol and Deoxit D5 (not together) on the contact portions of the points to a limited success, but the problem returns after a week or two (I don't keep track of the date I clean specific points). I use a miniature foam applicator I got from MicroMark which works ideally to apply the liquid.

I have read about at least one other modeler that had the same issue and he scraped (so to speak) those turnouts for something else.

Anyone else have this problem and/or offer another solution?

I always run power feeders to all three tracks to/from a turnout. It's a foolproof scheme, but with some turnouts, it may be wise to also gap the frog rails.

I've never had an issue when wired this way.

This is how I wire my electrofrog turnouts for DCC. The silver wire goes to the turnout machine for power routing.
Hope this helps. This info is from Alan Gartners Wiring for DCC website.

DSCN3447[1].jpg

Unfortunately, I'm well past that stage. The layout has been complete (track wise) for 11 years now and complete as far as scenery a month ago.
Whats' that piece of track above the turnout??

I would try a Contact Cleaner. Perhaps the DeOxit D5 has left a residue that, while fighting off oxidation, may also be affecting conductivity between the point rails and the wheels.

If you have an old school block sized erasure, try using some contact cleaner (like CRC). Wet a cloth that is wrapped around the erasure and run the tops of the rails.

Tops of the rails aren't the issue (at least with this issue). I do have WD40 Contact Cleaner I will try.

Sorry, I'm slow, lol. How do you know that? Do you have a multimeter? I'd be testing for continuity wherever there should be continuity.

If I understand your issue, your locomotives are stalling because the point rails are not providing juice to the wheels. If you have residue on top of the closure rails, that could be the problem. Either that, or the surface area where the point makes contact with the stock rail could also be "insulated" with residue from the De-Ox.

Sorry for the misunderstanding, but when I 'clean' the sides of the point & rail where that point seats (contacts) the problem usually goes away. Sometimes I have to re-clean with either IPA or Deoxit D5.

I use these to clean and apply;

BTW, I do have a DVM and when an engine stalls I will check between the stock rail & the point rail from the sides of each.

Last edited:
I would try a contact cleaner and see if that helps on a more permanent basis. My gut tells me it's the Deox you are using. I have to believe they inhibit oxidation by leaving a film on the surface like how an oil applied to syeel will discourage rust

Note that WD-40 also leaves a residue although it is *supposed* to be conductive. Could be you are leaving too much when you clean? I don't know if the residue is somewhat sticky or not which could grab dust and friends that sticks on the rail.

I didn't want to turn this into another 'track cleaning thread'. ;)

Those micro brushes don't apply much material. I 'rub' both surfaces a few times with what is on the brush. I don't squirt fluid into the opening which would be excessive since the amount would be hard to control.

I haven't tried that WD40 cleaner product yet other than test spraying it on my fingers. It evaporates very quickly and doesn't seem to leave much of a residue, but that's hard to tell.
What I don't like is the massive spray it produces which is a utter waste of material in this case. I don't know if it it available in liquid form.

That Deoxit D5 is suppose to be the 'cats meow' from everything I read about it. It should be for the price.

Last edited:
Whats' that piece of track above the turnout??
That is a piece of Atlas code 100 flex track that I used on my staging level. The silver thing is a Ribbon Rail 33 inch radius guide inserted between the rails. It has nothing to do with the turnout....it just found its way into my photo......pesky little flex track.

Back