Pavement, concrete

You might want to search some of the threads here as many have posted some very successful methods......

Here's a sample of mine.

100_8812-vi.jpg

I put together a short "How-To". It's here: http://journals.fotki.com/daveinthehat/how-i-make-roads/

On Woodland Scenics web site there is a good video on how to make roads using their products.

I have tried them all.

I have been very reluctant to just use plastic sheet, but thats what I end up coming back to.

All the various plaster type products do have a better texture, in that they look like an actual poured surface... However, it can be difficult to get them smooth enough to actually look like a smooth street.

The last method that I tried, and liked was hydrocal over foam.... It looked great.. Until the foam started to shrink. :( The hydrocal was done almost like paint over the foam.

I read an article in Model Railroad craftsman a few months back that used anchor bolt cement they got at home depot. The author went through it step by step and it looked really good, particularly around the track that was in the driveway where the concrete was being modeled.

The best roads I've seen modeled used home made decals made using photos of real streets. I've yet to try this but an article in Model Railroader a while ago showed how to do this.

I've just poured an industrial area with plaster (tracks in pavement)...at first I started out real carefully, but when the plaster (plaster-of-paris) started to set up, things changed.

Next batch wasn't so big, but still had issues. Finally I got careless and poured plaster over all the track (my beautiful ME code 70!) and sanded and cleared flangeways after it set (tip:Only wait a few hours, don't wait til the next day, it will be much, much harder.). It was a bit more work to sand (actually I used a hardened metal (machinists 6" scale and scraped it down...less dust and clogged sandpaper), but it looks fine. I tinted the plaster but think I need to seal the surface with another coat of something. I might try to wet the plaster first (so it doesn't suck up all the paint), then paint it with a wash of color...I'm not sure how I'm going to do it (which is why I'm reading these forums) so it's ok for the time being.

I used the Woodland Senics Smooth It and Road Tape for my roads and crossings. It worked very nice. I did find that the mix instructions are off a bit, I played around with the water amount and got it to where it was like a thin milk shake then it layed down easy and smoothed out nice. It was easy to sand smooth with fine sandpaper also. Now the painting I just mixed some blacks, grays, a little white until I got something that looked close to me and went from there.

Back