Pat Gibbony's Car Shop, Como, 1912

mdcustom

Bridge and Building Dept
Started working on a new piece for a client for whom I am building 9 buildings from Como on the Colorado and Southern. Already completed are the depot, dispacher office and the Pacific hotel. This one is Pat Gibbony's car shop. Building will have a full interior so it is being built stick by stick using prototype construction practices. Gibbony's was torn down sometime between 1938 and 1942 and no plans exist so I am working off of a couple of period photos for the structure. Started off building a basic jig for the walls, floor and the roof trusses. Wall framing was built using scale 2x4's, floor joists were 2x8's with 2x6 decking and the roof trusses are a mixture of 2x6's, 2x4's and 1x4's. Photo #3 shows some of the details that are planned for the interior.

Some more progress shots. Roof sheathing is 1x10's, sheathing was done for 5 boards only to allow me to fit the wall sheathing about the rafter tails but with the center left open so details can be added to the attic area.

Finished up the sheathing and added the 1x3 battens. Some of them are modeled broken and those to the left of the door are modeled warped at the bottom as per the prototype photo. Corner trim and door jamb also installed.

Next added the addition on the right side. Built with 2x4 studs on a 2x6 floor. Addition roof blends into the main roof. Sheathing is 1x12's but the addition lacked battens.

Larry, I'm pretty sure it's O scale looking at the lettering on the cutting pad. MD, the individual weathering on those boards is amazing. The warping wood was so common way up there and you've done a great job of capturing that look.

Some of the details that are being worked into Gibbony's. The shelving units and workbenches are scratch using 1x and 2x material. Various makers for the details. And to answer the question Larry, this is O scale, though I have built similar pieces in HO and F.

Last edited by a moderator:
Attached some of the details. Going to have to get a pin hole lens someday to take good shots of interiors thru open doors.

Thanks Dan, it got a lot of WOW comments at the hobby shop this morning when I took it in to show the owner.

Added some more details such as some sawdust and dirty rags. Then installed the lights. They are 16V 10,000 hour light which will be run off a 12V transfromer which makes them last forever. Since the building is designed to be removable from its base to allow detailed viewing of the interior the lighting wires were soldered to a pair of 1/16 brass tubes which then slide into 3/32 brass tubes hidden behind the corner shelving units. The 3/32 tubes had the connecting feeders soldered to them. This system allows the building to be totally free of its base if necessary.

The first photo shows the interior of the small side storage addition. In the last pair of photos you can see the brass tubes.

Very impressive Mdcustom. You did a great job working in all of the fine details.

MD, you should have a a very happy client when he sees the finished product. I fhe doesn't like it, send it on over to me. :)

Jim it might be a bit big for you, don't you model HO? This is one of 10 pieces from Como that I am doing for this client. Also building the depot sheds at the same time. Next up is the high school followed by the grade school.

Got the exterior detailing just about complete today. And yes those are empty paint cans in the trash outside the building.

Back