Part of Flex Track Section Dead?

If you are counting on rail joiners for electrical contact you will have problems again in the future.

I solder my curves together and add individual drops for everything else. You can't solder everything because you need to allow for expansion and contraction from the changing seasons.

I solder my curves together and add individual drops for everything else. You can't solder everything because you need to allow for expansion and contraction from the changing seasons.
Strange how everyone has a different take on the whole track feeder system, it's not a criticism, just an observation, I don't solder my track together, or solder feeder wires to it either, I use track joiner feeder's every two or three feet, which, to me at least, seems too many for my layout, and, (touch wood) have never had a problem with them or loss of power etc. in fact I've not experienced any of the issues that seem to crop up, nope, that's not true, turnouts, had a problem with steamers stalling on them, added feeder joiners to each "leg" of the turnout and the problem was solved.

Reactions: PMW
Pre-made feeder joiners are expensive, they can easily be made for nothing and seems like a good idea. I've never used them as soldering to the track is easier.

Everyone has to do what they're comfortable with. Thinking about it now, I might solder ever other length of flex track to reduce the number of drops and still allow for expansion.

Pre-made feeder joiners are expensive, they can easily be made for nothing and seems like a good idea. I've never used them as soldering to the track is easier.

Everyone has to do what they're comfortable with. Thinking about it now, I might solder ever other length of flex track to reduce the number of drops and still allow for expansion.
I made a simple jig out of a piece of 2"X2" that holds the joiner and wire in place so I can solder them together, I make around 20 or so in about 10-15 minutes.

Expansion is microscopic in our terms, unless your train room get's excessively hot in summer, you could easily solder 3 or more lengths of flex-track together before needing to worry about expansion buckling, but it would make handling such lengths problematic unless your soldering the track in situ.

As was stated before all flex track is is a piece of metal. It doesn't "break". The only way it doesn't work is if there isn't electricity getting to it (bad rail joiners or bad feeders) or the track are dirty and lose contact.
if it was the rail joiner [ or feeders], then the entire piece of track would be dead, not just a small piece of it ..the problem is [or was] on the very top surface not conducting

Or, it just "seemed" to be one small section...

Perhaps when weight was applied to that one small section, it was just enough to break contact for a nearby rail joiner... just enough to make the whole piece go dead... but use your hand to move the loco a few inches, and the weight on the rails shifted just enough to re-connect the joiner, which would make it appear as though there was a dead spot.

That's why a multimeter would have been useful. When the "spot" was dead, was teh whole rail really dead, but then the whole thing came back to life once the weight on the rail shifted again.

Putting in a new piece of track may have fixed an issue that was just a rail joiner all along.

Or, it just "seemed" to be one small section...

Perhaps when weight was applied to that one small section, it was just enough to break contact for a nearby rail joiner... just enough to make the whole piece go dead... but use your hand to move the loco a few inches, and the weight on the rails shifted just enough to re-connect the joiner, which would make it appear as though there was a dead spot.

That's why a multimeter would have been useful. When the "spot" was dead, was teh whole rail really dead, but then the whole thing came back to life once the weight on the rail shifted again.

Putting in a new piece of track may have fixed an issue that was just a rail joiner all along.
Perhaps! There must have been some reason for it

Back