PanPastel Weathering

I am new to the world of Model Railroad weathering. I am interested in using PanPastels to weather, but I was wondering what are the pros and cons of using PanPastels. Is there anything I need to know before using them? Any tips and tricks? Thank you.

you could check u-tube lots of how to videos there. if pastels are like chalk if you make a mistake or don't like how it came out you can just wipe it off and try again.

I like Pan Pastels for weathering since like daves68 mentioned, if you make a mistake then just wipe or wash off the Pastels. In some cases I use the Pastels without sealing with Dullcote. I use both brushes and make-up applicators to apply the Pastels.

When applying the Pastels, if at first the like too heavy, use a brush to move the powder around. I like a soft large make-up brush for this work.
You can purchase the Pan Pastels in single containers or in groups of colors. I like the earth tones kit.

Have fun weathering.

Greg

I like Pan Pastels for weathering since like daves68 mentioned, if you make a mistake then just wipe or wash off the Pastels. In some cases I use the Pastels without sealing with Dullcote. I use both brushes and make-up applicators to apply the Pastels.

When applying the Pastels, if at first the like too heavy, use a brush to move the powder around. I like a soft large make-up brush for this work.
You can purchase the Pan Pastels in single containers or in groups of colors. I like the earth tones kit.

Have fun weathering.

Greg
Thank you very muich for the reply.

you could check u-tube lots of how to videos there. if pastels are like chalk if you make a mistake or don't like how it came out you can just wipe it off and try again.
I have checked several YouTube videos on PanPastel weathering, but none that I saw really told me the benefits/ drawbacks of using them. Thanks for the reply.

Bragden powders are a bit oily powders and much better to use since it sticks better
Pan pastel is a powder and does not stick well to plastic and with time come off if not sealed.
If using pan pastel, give it a primer coat before and put enough powder because when you do coat it with a sealer, it will blow the powder off (not all).

If using powders or chalks to weather a locomotive, it really helps to give the surface a coat of flat clear first if it does not already have a flat sheen. Chalks especially will not adhere well at all to a glossy surface, and even a semi-gloss surface can cause problems. For the sealing coat give the model a couple of very light coats rather than one heavy one. These two steps will go a long way towards getting better results.
These were done with a combination of chalks and acrylic paint.
001.JPG

The locomotive was done mostly with chalks, using the above techniques.
002.JPG

The best thing to do is experiment and have fun!

Back