Painting Lines on Road

Does anyone know when highway markings went from white center line to yellow center line and white fog line?

Does anyone know when highway markings went from white center line to yellow center line and white fog line?

I found one site that stated that the double yellow started on July 3rd, 1959, but no mention of the white "fog" line.

When I was a kid & use to go to the races at the brick track in salem, Ind. w/my uncle. All of the sharp curves had squiggly lines at the start & end of all curves. My uncle would race everyone that was headed that way out of Evansville in his hopped up 53 Mercury. I always remembered those lines in the curves because we were going so fast that they seemed like they were straight. That was about 1948 to 1955.

Yellow lines were first recommended for certain areas in 1971 and became mandatory in 1978 if your state was following the Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices. (MUTCD). Since the Feds didn't have the coercive power they have now with federal funds, many state did not follow the MUTCD so the mix of white and yellow lasted well through the 80's in some places.

So-called fog lines are not required by the MUTCD. Many states have adopted them in their own highway codes and others by common usage. It seems fog lines started being used about the same time as reflective paint was developed in the mid 70's but their use is purely optional and by no means universal.

Back