Painting Brick in 1920s

rhoward

S.L.O.&W. Trainman
Quick question for all you history buffs. Way back in the 1920's did businesses paint brick buildings as is very common today. I know that when I was growing up in the 1950's I saw many if not most of the brick building around with all different colors of paint. But what about 1925 (my layout is set in 1925). I am assembling a Walthers Merchants row kit and want to paint it before final assembly.

Thank in advance!

As a bit of advice, rather than asking such a general question you should try to located vintage photos of business districts in your particular local area/region. Common practice can vary very widely from location to location and era to era. I grew up in the 1950's as well, near NYC, and virtually all the brick buildings were bare brick...except for painted-on ad signs. Photos I've seen of my area from the 1920's showed the same thing. However, in the South and West, I seem to recall that many brick structures were painted. And there were also local civic "beautification" projects before the war.

NYW&B

Back