painting brass?

What sort of brass? If locomotives or cars I used to soak the parts in lacquer thinner and scrub with a toothbrush. These days I use a blasting booth and ultrasonic cleaner. Then airbrushing of course.

I would also use a primer before painting. I have custom painted a number of brass locomotives over the years and would say that primer is a must.

This is an example that was painted over 20 years ago and has had a lot of handling and still looks good.

attachment.php

When I had the brass to paint.......

Wash completely, remove "brass" color with laquer thinner in an ultrasonic cleaner, clean with an air booth, light grit if necessary (then back in the ultrasonic), then prime and paint with thinned paint. I used automotive gloss black cause it was free (friend filled my Ragu jars at work), later a little grimy black floquil if desired. If you have multi colors just mask and proceed.

Thanks for your input guys. Sounds like anything else good cleaning and a light scuff and some primer and I should be A OK.

I dunno... That Logan Valley Railroad sure lets its hogs get dirty and grimy! ;) Seriously, great weathering job! You sure that's not a photo of a prototype loco? :)

Sure wish I could find a few more of them. It is also one extremely smooth running little bugger too. Thanks !

Back