Packages vs pieces, and track brands

Lloyd, thanks for that information. I was going to buy an Atlas "package" to get our layout started, but I checked Klein and a couple of other online stores and found that I could buy the individual pieces cheaper than the "package." Also found that Klein was the least expensive of all. I've read where others agree with you about prefering Peco turnouts to Atlas, even at code 100, and with the savings I get from buying individual pieces I may go with Atlas 100 track and Peco turnouts. Hope to post some photos of the construction of our layout in the near future. We've got a model RR show in two weeks here in Springfield - hope to pick up some things on my list and get some ideas. Take care.
Johnny (aka Raincoat2)

Lloyd,

Thank you for the information. I'm doing research now and the best price I've found so far was Klein. I'm looking at $4 for a section of flex if I get the 100 package. I think I figured I needed 3 of those. I'm not going to be getting them all at one time. I did notice the train shows is often more then what I find online so I'm only looking for a good online store for now.

Thanks
Dave

Also, I'm starting to think I need to go with 100 vs 83. I would like to do the layout with 83 and smaller for sidings but with my son being involved I'm thinking it may be the way to go. Maybe I can lay 83 on the front runs so it looks better where the track is closer to you.

Anyone have a better place to purchase then Klein's?

Dave

Someplace there is a really old Atlas Snap Track planning book. IN the back it gives all the cords and tangents for laying sectional track. I am not sure if it is still available anywhere, or has been reprinted, but it is the best tutorial on the placement of track, and clearances.

The Aerojet

Also, I'm starting to think I need to go with 100 vs 83. I would like to do the layout with 83 and smaller for sidings but with my son being involved I'm thinking it may be the way to go. Maybe I can lay 83 on the front runs so it looks better where the track is closer to you.

Anyone have a better place to purchase then Klein's?

Dave

If you pay attention to the "shipping costs" - you may save some $ on the Bay.
I was just looking at the "used" track and switches.

Someplace there is a really old Atlas Snap Track planning book. IN the back it gives all the cords and tangents for laying sectional track.
Atlas Custom Line Layouts for HO Scale Railroads by Armstrong. I have at least 5 copies. Keep a copy at each of my desks so it is always within arms reach. They can be had for $1. Best MR investment I've ever made. I have the N-scale equivalent and it isn't nearly as good. The book was produced from 1957 through at least 1979. Later editions dropped one of my favorite plans a point to point on 4x7. They don't include the old 22"x18" curved turnout, or the new 24" radius curves and 1/3 section 22" curves, but those are easy enough to figure out.

Back