Paasche VL Airbrush Won't Spray

NScaler

Engineer in Training
I just bought a used Paasche VL air brush. I only bought it because it was a pretty good deal, and appeared to be well cared for. I can't get it to spray anything. I have even tried straight water. So I bought new needles. I have tried the #!, #3, and #5 tips/needles. I have the correct needle with the correct tip. The brush came with the pipe cleaners to clean it out. I have ran them into every orifice and nothing appears to be clogged. The air brush came with a Testors air compressor but there is not a regulator on it.

I haven't owned an air brush in years, so I am kinda lost here. I can see an air bubble in the straw inside the paint cup. When I press the trigger straight down (air only) the bubble doesn't move. I assume it shouldn't. When I pull back on the trigger the bubble moves toward the bottom of the paint cup. So something must be plugged I assume. I just can't figure out where it must be.

Please help. I really want to get this thing working.

Thanks!

I just noticed if I take the tip that snaps onto the front off the bubble no longer moves into the paint cup. That tip is clear as can be though, so I don't know why that would affect it.

I can put the metal cup on and blow into it to force water through the brush and it seems to come out just fine. But it doesn't continue to spray.

You may be having a problem with one of the internal gaskets in side of the VL. These are teflon and are easy to replace. Several of the craft stores in our area, Michaels, JoAnn's, and of course the LHS has these items.

I would completely disassemble the brush following the diagram and replace all the gaskets. If the brush didn't have one with it, they can be downloaded from; http://www.paascheairbrush.com/

I wish that I help you better, cause I know that this should be a simple fix.

Thanks Carey. I looked down in the tail of the air brush and saw the screw that holds in a small teflon seal. I tried to remove the seal, but it wouldn't budge. So I thought, if I tighten that screw up a tad bit more it will crush that seal around the needle. Which it did because the needle is a little firmer going in. I got it to spray some that way. More of a spatter. But still not good at all. I may take it to a hobby shop and see if they can help me out with it. Lord knows I have spent enough money there they should be more than happy to help me out. If that doesn't work I think I am going to just consider this one a stupid mistake and buy a new one when I can afford it. I got a nice Testors air compressor for $130.00 so it's not a total loss I guess.

Had a problem sort of like yours awhile ago,I took mine apart,(remember to pull the needle thur the front and not out the back) it seems the teflon bushing nut that holds it in place was loose,Had a bear of a time getting it right but once I was done it worked fine.
N

Kevin, hopefully you have figured out the problem, but one other thing to check too is that the air hole (vent) on the top of the lid to the paint bottle is open. Sometimes it gets clogged with paint if it isnt cleaned well. Another thing I do is cut all my plastic tubes at an angle. If they are flat (cut at 90 degrees) and are a bit long they hit the bottom of the paint jar and cut off the suction of the eductor effect. Just a thought.

I forgot to come back and reply. I bought this used with the Testors air compressor. Turns out that unit only puts out 10psi. So I am going to have to buy a new compressor.

Sent from my SPH-D710BST using Tapatalk

Might be cheaper to buy a small pancake compressor from Harbor freight or Home depot....with a regulator and an adapter, then you can use it for other stuff around the house too. I always figured I'd use my 36 Gal compressor with a set up like that if my airbrush compressor ever pooped the bed.

I got an email from Paasche and they have a special deal they are going to give me on a 1/6th HP compressor for less than $100. So I think I am going to grab one of those.

Back