P2k gear issue. No not that one, completely different

I just measured the side to side my wheels can move, .025"-.030". The gap between the sideframe and bolster bit the bottom clip goes into is .040". Holding the truck upside down, I measured .925" overall width just in front or behind the added on spring hanger, about even with the swivel head of the screwdriver in your photo.

In interest of clarity, you tried to put the sideframes on with the bottom plate removed? They will not go on with it installed. And the little points on the bottom cover are still straight? Mine looks the same as yours except the gap between the sideframe and bolster bit the sideframe goes into looks larger on yours.

I just tried to run mine by attaching wires to the motor, the board is gone, and the worms are stuck solid. There's a little play in the motor and in the wheels but the worm seems to be firmly cemented with the infamous P2K peanut butter. I don't want to spend the time to take it apart now.

I'm look at the pic in reply 19 above.

Look CAREFULLY at the truck.

Look at the right-hand side frame.
It's not "in" all the way. There's where you side-play is coming in.

Take the truck OFF the locomotive -- all the way. You'll have to disconnect some wiring, too.

Take it fully apart, then re-assemble it so the side frames are snug against the "mounts". I predict that will clear the problem up.

They side frames are seated as far in as they will go. even after using clamps to apply more pressure. They are in as far as possible. I just got another GP38 and the trucks and side frames are the same way. With the same lateral play. Just a tad smaller play so the gears don't completely disengage.
I'm look at the pic in reply 19 above.

Look CAREFULLY at the truck.

Look at the right-hand side frame.
It's not "in" all the way. There's where you side-play is coming in.

Take the truck OFF the locomotive -- all the way. You'll have to disconnect some wiring, too.

Take it fully apart, then re-assemble it so the side frames are snug against the "mounts". I predict that will clear the problem up.

They side frames are seated as far in as they will go. even after using clamps to apply more pressure. They are in as far as possible. I just got another GP38 and the trucks and side frames are the same way. With the same lateral play. Just a tad smaller play so the gears don't completely disengage.
Have you checked your wheel gauges with an NMRA standards gauge? Two things to look for - make sure each wheel set is in exact gauge, and make sure the drive gear is exactly centered between the wheels. The wheels could be in gauge, but if the gear is not exactly centered, this could allow it to disengage from the other gears in one direction due to the excessive lateral play.

If the wheels are in gauge, and the drive gears are centered, then you would be well within your rights to use a spacer washer on each axle end to cut down on the lateral play, near as I can tell from the pictures.

Musta' been an oddball LL P2k unit, first time I have heard of an Atlas drive mechanism instead of an Athearn mechanism. I'll try and keep that in the ol' memory banks, but unfortunately, the ol' memory banks seem to crackle, fizzle, spark, and short-circuit a little more often these days. :p

Back