Outline?

JazzDad

Gandy Dancer
Did you use an outline when you built your layout? You know;
1. Build workbench
a. lay track
2. Etcera.

I seem to piddle with this, then do a little of that, then something else. In my mind, someday, it will all come together. But will it?

No outline here. I made a rough sketch of the benchwork without measurements, and I knew what I was hoping to achieve. From there I "winged it". Built some benchwork, laid track/wiring to get trains running and moved on to the next portion and repeated. Since I was still working at the time when I started, it took almost five years to complete a two level layout with over 1300' of track. I am now going back with the scenery. My only real planning was to make and use some stiff paper templates for the 30" and 32" radius curves. I still have some undeveloped areas which have switches to nowhere installed for future industries. As if 70+ industries so far isn't enough. Did I mention that I like switching?

Actually I have used several, but I find writing down a "task list" helps me keep on track. Otherwise I get distracted and get 100 projects going at once. Plus it helps to make sure I get sequential things in the proper order. In a couple cases I have had to get something done for a an operating weekend, I have found that a list helped make sure I got everything done and was ready to go.

I also like checklists to prepare for an op session to make sure I don't forget anything (shoulda bought sodas, rats) and to go over my pre session orientation. I find that having a set list actually shortens the talk, less chance to get off track.

Actually I have used several, but I find writing down a "task list" helps me keep on track. Otherwise I get distracted and get 100 projects going at once. Plus it helps to make sure I get sequential things in the proper order. In a couple cases I have had to get something done for a an operating weekend, I have found that a list helped make sure I got everything done and was ready to go.

I also like checklists to prepare for an op session to make sure I don't forget anything (shoulda bought sodas, rats) and to go over my pre session orientation. I find that having a set list actually shortens the talk, less chance to get off track.
Domestic rats are OK, just don't go for the imported bats.

I face your dilemma, JazzDad. I had a plan years ago and built my bench work accordingly and 8 months later tore it down to move. Since I built "tables" I reused them in a slightly different configuration and took a while even then to figure out what I want (I'm still not sure). At least I can run trains at this time while I piddle trying to figure out what I'm going to do where. I mean I had a huge rise in it and tore it out even before I had everything complete. I have an idea of what going to happen, but will probably change my mind a least a dozen times before I place anything.

I didn't follow a plan, I actually laid some track before I built benchwork. As a result I have a awkward junction with several switches propped up on blocks of various things on a corner of my workbench. It works pretty well, I don't have any unrailment issues and was considering adding a crossover to it to make it work a little more efficiently. Other parts of my layout are Free-mo modules. They have become more permanent than they should be since the biggest motivator/promoter of Free-mo in our area has dropped out of model railroading, they haven't been out since the National Show in 2015. I think I could use the space I have much more efficiently if I started over with something planned to fit the space. As it is, it just sort of happened.

I had a zoom meeting for work yesterday and set up the computer in front of one of the modules. Not surprisingly, a train happened to go by behind me during the meeting.

A lot of my current layout utilized sections of the layout from my previous house. I had a general idea of what I wanted to do, and just went ahead and "winged it".

A lot of my current layout utilized sections of the layout from my previous house. I had a general idea of what I wanted to do, and just went ahead and "winged it".
This is basically how George Sellios built the Franklin & South Manchester. He said he usually doesn't draw a plan, maybe a rough sketch sometimes. Otherwise he just does it!

No outline or anything like that. Wife told me one day that I should build some trains in the basement for the kids to play with. She wanted me to build a gscale railroad in the yars but I hate gardening so I just stayed with HO.

I just drew a concept plan for my temporary layout. I know I will make plenty of changes and what not but having just a concept plan or development plan just helps. I like to have a preliminary vision then just run with it while making changes and improvements.

Last edited:
No outline either. I work, on what I am in the mood to do or having money/material on hand. I have a plan in mind and a vision of what I wish to achieve, as do we all most likely. In past HO railways that were more for "operation", I would develope a back story as to why the railroad exhisted and what its purpose was. These days, my patience is gone and I just like to watch a train go around and relax with drink in hand. Mike the Aspie

Back