Opinions on the Bachmann N Scale Spectrum CHESAPEAKE & OHIO 2-6-6-2 Steam Locomotive

Night Train

Anybody have experience with the Bachmann N Scale Spectrum CHESAPEAKE & OHIO 2-6-6-2 Steam Locomotive?

I'd like to have at least one steam loco for my layout just because and this one is available.

Is it reliable? Does it run smoothly?

Your thoughts please.

Also.....what are your opinions on the Bachmann 80453 N Scale Spectrum DCC EM-1, 2-8-8-4 Steam Locomotive B&O ? I think this one is the "Big Boy" steam loco.

What kind of minimum radius do these engines require?

I'd like to hear from anyone who has these or has seen these in action.

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
The EM-1 is a beautiful engine, but somewhere around 1 in 4 have binding issues in the drivers from what I've heard. It's just an adjustment issue, but if you don't know how to adjust them, you're out of luck. The good news is that Bachmann will replace it free of charge, but the bad news is that you do have to pay postage for them to do that, and I've even gotten two bad replacements for a total of 3 bad locomotives on their 4-8-4 J-Class before getting a good one. They gave me a free hopper car as an apology, but I was still out something like $30 or more in postage before it was all done. If you have a local hobby store that runs them beforehand or if you can request that whoever you're buying it from online test run it before you buy it, then you'll be okay. If you get a good one they do tend to stay good. If not, like I say, you will eventually get a good one, but you may get a little frustrated in the process.

Edit: I will say that in spite of Bachmann's poor quality control, this is a great buy. You're really not going to get anything similar for the same money. Once you get one that runs right you're set, and it'll keep running right for a long damn time. So yeah, buy one, MAYBE put up with having to make them get it right, but you'll have a great steamer in the end.

Last edited by a moderator:
...Also.....what are your opinions on the Bachmann 80453 N Scale Spectrum DCC EM-1, 2-8-8-4 Steam Locomotive B&O ? I think this one is the "Big Boy" steam loco.

The "Big Boy" was UP and used in the Wyoming Division. It was actually a 4-8-8-4.

I originally missed your question on radius. Unless I'm mistaken, I remember that they are like the DDA-40X as far as radius recommendation of 18". Of course, recommended doesn't mean minimum. You can probably get it around a smaller radius just like I can on the DD, but it has to be at lower speed & you can have coupler issues if you're hooked up to the wrong thing. So I'd say 18" or better on the mainline, but yes you can get it carefully in and out of your yard on a bit smaller switches & curves.

I had an N scale 2-6-6-2, and it ran really well--for about 15 minutes. The motor went up in smoke, and the locomotive had to go back for replacement. Both it and its replacement had zero trouble negotiating my layout's 11" radius curves. My friend has an N scale EM 1, and it can be coaxed around his 15" radius curves, but there are spots it is not happy doing it. With 18", you should be fine.

Back