Opinions on scale

'bob' I don't think you are correct about the 4 and/or 8 times larger RR in N than in HO.. N is roughly 1/2 the size of HO. Using the same exact track plan for each, and within the same allotted space, I believe the N would be merely 2 times the size of HO..If an HO track represents 10 real miles, then N will represent roughly 20 miles. No ?
Yes, the length of the N track would only be ~2 times that of HO. The scenery space that track runs in is 2 dimensions so ~4 times as much. Both numbers are correct depending on the perspective.

Not to keep arguing, but length, width and height (volume ?) of RR equipment is irrelevant here. Just talking right of way, N trackage, if follows the very same right of way HO trackage would leave remaining, if removed and replaced with N, would represent roughly twice the scale millage of the HO trackage; 5 Mi. becoming 10 mi., 20' becomes 40'.

Last edited by a moderator:
Your space says N scale,your eyes will want HO.It just seems to be more stuff available in HO than any other scale.

I think some of you are giving N scale a bad rap that it doesn't deserve! It wouldn't be the second most popular scale if the bad opinions where real. Also, don't tell me that it's only the youngsters that are modeling in N scale as there aren't supposed to be any young Model Railroaders, anymore. You don't want to listen to me either, as if I where to start over, I would model in Sn3!

P&Woaklawn, do yourself a favor and do your own research. Only you will know what is right for you!

I think some of you are giving N scale a bad rap that it doesn't deserve! It wouldn't be the second most popular scale if the bad opinions where real. Also, don't tell me that it's only the youngsters that are modeling in N scale as there aren't supposed to be any young Model Railroaders, anymore. You don't want to listen to me either, as if I where to start over, I would model in Sn3!

P&Woaklawn, do yourself a favor and do your own research. Only you will know what is right for you!

Im an n scale lover myself, perhaps when Im ready to go to a bigger layout I might go HO but for now I really like the N scale world and its growing possibilities...Im willing to sacrifice a bit of train detail & realism for more usable space, scenery and track length.

I have friends older and younger that are N scalers,same with O scale.A lot has to do with how much room they have.As far as cost N isn't far off from HO.When comparing engines they can do the same,detail is a little more with ho but cost wise there isn't much difference.

Hunter2678 ...Even without the so called bad raps N receives it still would, per capita, not be as popular as HO. HO is #1 because it outsells all the other scales, due to size/eyesight consideration, and that N doesn't have nearly the amount of loco, car, and accessory choices as HO (HO is some 25-ish years older than N). I will say, N probably outsells the remaining scales, though...Anyroad, what does it matter ? Whatever floats your gondola...M

Hunter2678 ...Even without the so called bad raps N receives it still would, per capita, not be as popular as HO. HO is #1 because it outsells all the other scales, due to size/eyesight consideration, and that N doesn't have nearly the amount of loco, car, and accessory choices as HO (HO is some 25-ish years older than N). I will say, N probably outsells the remaining scales, though...Anyroad, what does it matter ? Whatever floats your gondola...M
Oh I hear ya..I dont dispute HO's popularity. I suppose if you're a discriminating/ and or longtime MRR with decent space, HO has the most appeal. I will say that my eyes are about as good as humanly possible at 20/10 so Im sure that doesn't hurt in my preference for N scale. Will be interesting to see if Kato and others start pushing out more N scale products in the next 5-10 yrs.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply! I was planning on using foam board on top of the plywood. Yes I'd absolutely prefer a point to point. I really don't want to run in circles lol. I just have limited space so am debating between n and ho. As far as controlling I have a digitrax setup ready to go. As of right now I'm leaning towards n scale. Thanks for your help!
Nice to know there are at least some 'point to pointers' out there..You can gain some elevation and more trackage if you make it a switchback line...Some frown on SBs. The 1:1 eliminated all but 1, due to hassles with. But in a miniature RR it lends welcomed extra RRing work/strategy others lack..M

Oh I hear ya..I dont dispute HO's popularity. I suppose if you're a discriminating/ and or longtime MRR with decent space, HO has the most appeal. I will say that my eyes are about as good as humanly possible at 20/10 so Im sure that doesn't hurt in my preference for N scale. Will be interesting to see if Kato and others start pushing out more N scale products in the next 5-10 yrs.
Your vision is good now as was mine when I was in N. But if you stay with N, eventually that tends to change for the worse and N gets tougher do deal with.

'bob' I don't think you are correct about the 4 and/or 8 times larger RR in N than in HO.. N is roughly 1/2 the size of HO. Using the same exact track plan for each, and within the same allotted space, I believe the N would be merely 2 times the size of HO..If an HO track represents 10 real miles, then N will represent roughly 20 miles. No ?

You're thinking in linear terms. Yes, N is half the size, but it's half the size in all directions. You get 4x the space for N as you do HO, because it's not all linear. You save space on the sides as well as to the front.

I agree with Willie, good choice. I was in N scale back in the late 70's but tore out over 11 scale miles of main line mainly because of the lousy locomotives that were available back then. N scale locos are now excellent running little gems, BUT I am a bit older now and can't believe thatI actually was working with N scale. We have a small N scale layout at my club which operated beautifully, but everything is so tiny. Also my old eyeballs aren't as good as they used to be.

As Greg mentioned, there is a lot more available in HO scale than there is in N scale when it comes to kits, rolling stock and details. Good luck with the layout. Post some photos.

as for running a point to point or a loop; if you plan to only have hands on the railroad all the time, p to p is fine, but if you just want to have trains running while you do model work or scenery, a looping layout would work better.
Consider the length of a p to p run and how long it would take a train to run that at, say 35 scale mph. Not much time, right?
Now if you had a point to point layout the size of the Wyoming Division layout in Cornville, AZ, that would be different. It takes about an hour to run a train from one end to the other. It's a scale 36 miles. See the video below.

Guess I'm a little late to the party but I have a suggestion.
Do an online search of layouts in both scales with the space you have available.
There are some pretty amazing N and HO layouts in even smaller spaces, make a list of what appeals to you.
Best advice I can give, don't rush into anything and I'd suggest a small simple switching setup in any scale with just a couple mock up industries to get your feet wet.

Back