Opinions on Intermountain Products?

NIKO_SUAV3

Hello Eveyone,

I just had a general question, I recently purchased some SD40-2s from Intermountain and received both with each arriving with something broken. Now these are the first two non-Athearn/Genesis locomotives I've purchased and have to say I am rather disappointed. Is this par for the course with Intermountain locomotives or am I just unlucky?

I recently purchased 2 Intermountain box cars and they arrived in good shape. However, I recently got some new Proto 2000 and Bowser locomotives in the mail and the Proto was fine but the Bowser was shaking around in the box.

Much to my surprise, although the Bowser came free from the mounting tabs that affixed it to the protective cover, nothing was broken. I will blame that on rough handling by the post office.

Niko...
I haven't ever purchased any Intermountain engines, but have purchased about two dozen of their freight cars from my LHS. Almost every one had a problem, mostly minor. I purchased six grain hoppers and had to re-attach all of the roofwalks. They were all bowed from broken or missing glue points. One intermodal well car was missing all the crossover walkways and several others had parts floating around in the box. Most all of my tankers had loose or detached end railings. These were all easy fixes and to me are just part of purchasing their products. They sent me the intermodal parts when I E-mailed them regarding their QC. I have detailed to them all of my issues and I hope they fix them in future products. I am finished purchasing all freight cars for the foreseeable future so I won't know.
Willie

Niko...
I haven't ever purchased any Intermountain engines, but have purchased about two dozen of their freight cars from my LHS. Almost every one had a problem, mostly minor. I purchased six grain hoppers and had to re-attach all of the roofwalks. They were all bowed from broken or missing glue points. One intermodal well car was missing all the crossover walkways and several others had parts floating around in the box. Most all of my tankers had loose or detached end railings. These were all easy fixes and to me are just part of purchasing their products. They sent me the intermodal parts when I E-mailed them regarding their QC. I have detailed to them all of my issues and I hope they fix them in future products. I am finished purchasing all freight cars for the foreseeable future so I won't know.
Willie

Yea, just got in touch with them, and they will either send me replacement parts or I can send in the locomotives and they will correct the issues and mail them back....Now I have to decide...

I was at a mode train show over the weekend and was looking at an Athearn Genesis Loco but the dealer was doing his darnedest to get me to buy an Intermountian one instead. His selling point was the warranty and service. (I ended up not buying either one simply because I didn't have the money for it right then and there.)

At one time it seemed like everyone was raving about the customer service they had. They appeared to go the extra mile to make a problem right. Sure hope that doesn't change. I recently bought a used N scale FT AB set but I haven't had time to see how well they run.

At one time it seemed like everyone was raving about the customer service they had. They appeared to go the extra mile to make a problem right. Sure hope that doesn't change. I recently bought a used N scale FT AB set but I haven't had time to see how well they run.
It would be better to get it right the first time.

Willie

You got that right, Willie, but I haven't had any problems with their rolling stock and l've got quite a few of them. Very nice detailing and paint.

I agree with that as well, Like I said Ive always had great luck with the Athearn Genesis line, and these are my first two Intermountain models so who know maybe I'm just unlucky. I did roll the dice and order one more Intermountain SD40-2 this time in BN paint, so we will see what the results are. Hopefully I can get one loco to come completely intact and free of defects...

How are you liking the locos so far? I ask as there is one on eBay at a really low price (currently) that I am thinking about bidding on.

That's where I got mine ha. Snagged 3 for around $60 each. I haven't run them around the track too much but from what I can tell they are pretty solid units.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:
It would be better to get it right the first time.

Willie

Sure, that's what we all want. Most of the model RR companies are importers these days with the stuff being made in China so they all pretty much deal with the similar issues - I've read Athearn and Intermountain both sometimes have parts floating in the box. Intermoutain is newer to the engine market so they are still refining things. It took too runs to get the bugs worked out on the Cab Forward steam engines; I didn't buy one until last fall and made sure I got the 3rd run. I haven't bought any IMR diesels yet, and based on comments on the SD40-2's, expect each run will get better so if I do buy any, I'll look for one from the most recent run to try to get one of them that has the most improvements. It looks like they still have the gap behind the cab roof, hopefully they'll get that ironed out too.

How are you liking the locos so far? I ask as there is one on eBay at a really low price (currently) that I am thinking about bidding on.

You end up winning that loco on the Bay? I still havent really had the time to run them around the track too much, but I still they they were pretty goof value for me being a noobie to this. I think they have superior detail to the Athearn RTR version of the same engine, and comes with DCC installed ( I believe a LokPilot v4.0) for about the same money. I purchased two in ATSF and one in BN with the intention of patching both to BNSF, and I am into each for a little over $70 each with shipping. So far I am pretty happy, but I'm not to the point in this hobby where I have spent more than $100 on a Loco so I suppose I dont know how good things can get.

In the Spirit or sharing thoughts and feedback on manufacturers, I thought Id share that I just had a great interaction with Athearn. I stupidly lost the coupler box one of my locomotives during some upgrades I was making, so I decided to call in today in order to find out if they carry the part. Turns out they do, and they explained they only sell them in pairs for about $5 which doesn't bother me because I'm sure that since I'm careless enough to lose them once it will happen again... After the gentleman had collected my info, he had informed me that they would be sending me the part free free! Now I have heard some not so great things/experiences regarding dealing with Athearn directly so I wasn't expecting much when I called in, but after that experience I am very pleased since about 80% of my equipment is Athearn. Anyways thats my two cents, so I am passing the news along.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't own any Intermountain loco's but quite a few Intermountain freight cars. My opinion is they are a good value for the cost - you get fairly well detailed freight cars which come with Kadee couplers for a moderate price (usually under $30 discount from better venders). Like other detailed freight car brands with separately applied details, sometimes some may be detached and need re-glued on. For most modelers that's a minor issue - they just re-glue them on. Let me tell you after building a number of Intermountain freight cars from kits, the RTR versions with a part or two lying in the box is no big deal!

I must admit to being "iffy" about IM's quality. Mainly as noted about bits that fall off. I have several of their 3 bay, rib side covered hoppers and also the 2 bay versions (Halliburton placards). Operating on club layouts it's disconcerting to find details missing when packing up and have to search large layouts to try to find them. I have gone over most now and spot glued virtually everywhere and anywhere the might be the slightest chance of something falling off from airpipes to steps/ladders, hatch covers and in the case of the Halliburton cars, the name boards on the sides. The 3 bay ones (RTR assembled) were obviously made from the kits and most notably had poor fit of parts, particularly around the stirrups and their bracket supports to the extent that the stirrups were bent inwards, not across the car, but along their length (10 cars all the same), giving the appearance to the car of having the side frames curved up in the middle. I also have a dozen or so of their laser cut wooden decked 60' flat cars, nothing greatly wrong with them, and I do like the real wood decks (even though it's a thin veneer). The disappointment there is that center wooden "boards", which are cut to represent longitudinal planks, have the grain running across instead of inline with the planks, becomes obvious when stained/weathered.

By comparison I have a good number also of the MTH 60'ers (similar price range) which seem to have only been produced once, and although the decks are plastic, are detailed to the point where the channels that the chain tiedowns lock into, have the tiny notches along them for that purpose, molded into them. Really beautiful cars (sprung trucks to boot).

I have been impressed of late by Athearn's RTR rolling stock offerings, and the detail on many is now almost the same as their Genesis lines (cheaper trucks in the main), but the stirrups on them are really too thin for club use. I did get 21 of their Ethanol tank cars and spent hours going over all them when I lost one of the Hazmat diamond placards off the side. They would have to be the worst mounted of that item I have seen, sitting in a recess that is too large and basically secured by the paint. The same can be said of the brake wheel assemblies on the end of the car, barely hanging on. All of mine have also developed a white powdery substance on them since unpacking, which is streaky, guess it will pass as weathering.

I guess if we insist on fine detail on plastic models, there are compromises.

I can only comment on N-scale from Intermountain, but they are very delicate compared to other manufacturers as far as the bodies. If they arrive in good shape and you handle them very very carefully they're good locomotives, but they don't put up with accidental slips or careless handling at all. You also have to beware buying them on eBay when they're unbelievably cheap. Apparently Intermountain sells off factory defects rather than trashing them, and resellers who aren't very reputable will sell them to you without noting that they are in fact manufacturer rejects. I got some really cheap Intermountain SD40 & 45 tunnel motors this way, but obviously wasn't pleased that I had to correct the defects on the first two I bought that I actually wanted to run as is. Of course, I bought about ten more as cheap chassis for other bodies and to repaint. I hated to give that cheater of a seller more money, but I also hated to pass up something cheap that I could put to good use. Ain't that always the way it is?

Back