Operational Level Crossing Boom Gates???

anubis

Hello all,

I'm of a mind to add a pair of operating boom gates to my 1950s era level crossing on my modular On30 railway.

I have scratchbuilt the crossing signals, powered by 3mm red LEDs, added the appropriate signs, and have sourced a very good digital 'clang-clang-clang' sound for the bell. :p

However, I'm a bit lacking in ideas for driving the boom gates.

I am aware that I could use a 12v solenoid, driving a linkage, but the obvious fault is the fact that this action is instantaneous, rather than slow and steady.

I also see on the 'net, many advertisments for commercially available items, ranging from the 'el-cheapo' to the downright unaffordable....

I also know I can possibly utilise a Tortoise switch machine, and while they are very good at what they do, they are prohibitively expensive here in Australia. (Currently between A$40 and A$65...) Besides, I like to scratchbuild items when I can, for it gives more pleasure to me to know that "I built that!" :cool:

Now, being unemployed means that I don't have too much in the way of free cash, so I am always looking at cheaper alternatives......time I have to spend, but money I do not have......a bit like the way the global economy is at present. :rolleyes:

So, has anyone ever rigged up a drive unit for crossing boom gates, utilizing a worm drive and pinion, or possibly a set of reduction gears, or a toothed belt arrangement, that can be driven by a small electric motor? :confused:

I would welcome any ideas on the subject from my mates in MRF....

Q: How many rivets in that locomotive?

A: Exactly the correct number!

How about a small DC motor and a worm gear set. The action would be linear and the speed controllable by the speed of the motor.
Just an idea :D

Cheers
Willis

If you're good with electronics, or know someone who is, you could rig up a model aircraft servo to run your gates. They're very cheap and you can get them on eBay direct from China--I bought half a dozen for US$22 a few months ago.

A source for gears--Meccano or Lego parts?

Hey, there's a good angle that I never thought of.

I'll have a look and see what's available on the cheaper side.

Many thanks for the suggestion, John P.....

Meanwhile, I'll toy around with some old gears and pulleys that I found in the 'unfinished projects' bin....

Both Tamiya and Plastruct have gears and/or gear trains also. A favorite place for that kind of stuff is old VCR and car stereo eject motors. Once I found a really small worm drive assembly in a portable CD player. It moved the laser across the disc.

Thanks Paul.

Good suggestion.

I have a couple of old non-operating VCRs down the shed. I'll go and have a look later.

At this stage, I must say that I'm leaning more towards a worm-drive setup, for my project requires a slow, steady speed, with approximately 1/2" of linear travel.

Another problem arises when you look at how to limit this travel.

I suppose I could connect the 'driven' brass wire that pushes up and operates the gates, to the edge of a round gear of the appropriate diameter, and that would give me the travel limit and open the gate with half a revolution.

If it continued onto one full revolution, it would then close the gate. (By example, imagine my round gear as a flywheel on a crankshaft, and the driven brass wire as the piston connectiong rod....)

Of course, the problem is exacerbated by the fact that there are TWO gates, and it is desirous that they operate TOGETHER....... : o (

Hmmmmmmm

Back