OO vs HO

Mr. Ron

Is there a OO gauge track? All the OO gauge models (GB) use HO gauge track. Doing so means that OO gauge trains on HO track represents narrow gauge in OO. I think track in GB is standard gauge (4'-8 1/2") so using HO gauge track is narrow gauge. Standard gauge in OO scale would be .739" between rails. HO is .650" between rails.

Not quite. Narrow gauge tends to be substantially less than the standard gauge, as in something like 12" or more. The difference between the HO and OO gauges represents maybe a couple of inches, three tops. Plus or minus...I've never actually computed the real difference in scale.

For example, HO is 1/76. HOn30 is 18" less, although in scale.

Is there a OO gauge track? All the OO gauge models (GB) use HO gauge track. Doing so means that OO gauge trains on HO track represents narrow gauge in OO. I think track in GB is standard gauge (4'-8 1/2") so using HO gauge track is narrow gauge. Standard gauge in OO scale would be .739" between rails. HO is .650" between rails.
Standard UK gauge is 4'8.5", which is indeed the same as the US uses, as does most of Europe

With the advent of more demanding consumers, companies like Peco, produce more prototypical profile track. An OO scale Locomotive will run on code100 track but will ride on the rail ties especially over turnouts if using code 83, as code 83 has a lower height profile as that is more prototypical for a RR.

As I run both HO and OO locomotives, for me, it stands to reason that I use Hornby standard or Peco code 100 track, as the HO will run perfectly well on this scale track. And if I'm honest the height difference is not noticeable at more than 2 feet distance.

OO has a scale ratio of 1.76.2 and HO is 1.87, there is a reason for the differential, and why the UK still uses OO scale and not HO, I've posted this before, but I'll repeat it here. this explains why the UK uses OO scale compared to the rest of the world.

Standard UK gauge is 4'8.5", which is indeed the same as the US uses, as does most of Europe

With the advent of more demanding consumers, companies like Peco, produce more prototypical profile track. An OO scale Locomotive will run on code100 track but will ride on the rail ties especially over turnouts if using code 83, as code 83 has a lower height profile as that is more prototypical for a RR.

As I run both HO and OO locomotives, for me, it stands to reason that I use Hornby standard or Peco code 100 track, as the HO will run perfectly well on this scale track. And if I'm honest the height difference is not noticeable at more than 2 feet distance.

OO has a scale ratio of 1.76.2 and HO is 1.87, there is a reason for the differential, and why the UK still uses OO scale and not HO, I've posted this before, but I'll repeat it here. this explains why the UK uses OO scale compared to the rest of the world.

Thank you for the OO gauge description and how it came about. Does anyone use the P4 gauge?

Because of the way that 00 uses track that is too narrow for the scale, rather than H0 which uses stock that is a little too wide for the scale, it is possible to fit P4 wheelsets in to 00 scale models to convert to finescale with the correct 18.83mm gauge track without changing the models too much (brake shoes and the like will often need repositioning). But, like all things it is not quite as simple as that because finescale is more than just the gauge, you need to make sure that the track is laid to a very high standard (scale flanges on P4 are almost non existent - like the prototype) and in many cases provide some 'compensation' (springing to us ordinary folk) to make sure that the wheels stay in contact with the track and properly spread the load.

It sort of depends on how you look at the track as to what looks right for 00. Th H0 track that is generally supplied for 00 looks OK in the whole because the sleeper width and spacing is in proportion to the gauge. Most of the time you are looking at the track from above. When H0 track looks wrong on 00 models is when you see it from the side or in association with buildings and track side structures when the sleepers look small and too close together. Peco use this as a marketing line, and describe it as 'The longer look' oh the power of spin.

In the olden days I had some Wren 00 gauge track which had proper sleeper size and spacing, and recently Peco has brought out the 'Bullhead' range of 00 track which is more to 4mm scale rather than 3.5mm.

SL-108F.jpg

Back