Online track software?

Hutch

I'd love to do some track planning in, ahmm, spare time at work. The problem is, the XXXXXXX won't let me install any software that isn't company approved. Again, the XXXXXXX. So, is there another way other than pencil and paper? I started making my own in SketchUp but it was extremely laborious, I may do it anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:
LOL - That is always a problem.
You are allowed to own more that one?
Check PM to you?
I would bring my laptop but my wife really likes it for playing Panda Pop. I bought the laptop for me but somehow, it became her game.

I used AnyRail, but only because I started playing around with their free trail version. Once I got the hang of it, I decided to buy it so I could use all the functionality.

It wasn't very intuitive, but there are a lot of youtube videos showing tips and techniques.

Probably the single best thing I liked about the track planning software was printing my layout full size, and laying the papers on my table. It gave me a perspective the computer screen couldn't, and allowed me to make enhancements I wouldn't have thought about otherwise.
It also allowed my to mock up the village to see if I had enough houses and such.
1687448667172.png

I also used a full size printout to trace teh centerlines so I could lay the cork roadbed.

I used AnyRail, but only because I started playing around with their free trail version. Once I got the hang of it, I decided to buy it so I could use all the functionality.

It wasn't very intuitive, but there are a lot of youtube videos showing tips and techniques.

Probably the single best thing I liked about the track planning software was printing my layout full size, and laying the papers on my table. It gave me a perspective the computer screen couldn't, and allowed me to make enhancements I wouldn't have thought about otherwise.
It also allowed my to mock up the village to see if I had enough houses and such.
View attachment 170546

I also used a full size printout to trace teh centerlines so I could lay the cork roadbed.
Cool!

I have heard people say that SCARM is a copycat version of another software (I think it was Anyrail?). It's free, and has a decent group of people who put it together and support it.

Learning the tricks and techniques, especially around using flex track was the hardest thing for me to figure out.

Basically, I used sectional pieces to get an idea of what I liked, then slowly removed the sectional pieces, replacing them with flex track so I could get easements into curves to make sudden changes in direction a little more subtle. And to save money, lol. A 3-foot long piece of flex track is a lot less expensive than 3 feet of sectional track, and once I had the basic shape of my layout, I started redoing it with Flex pieces.

I need to measure my space. All I know is it’ll be 42’ long with two 20’ long peninsulas. It’ll be two levels too. Soon!

Bob: Nice space. You planning N or HO scale? Anyway, there are many track planning applications out there. XtrackCad, CadRail, 3rd PlanIt, Anyrail, and Scarm are the ones I remember just now. They all have free demo version that you can play with. Some only allow a certain size space, others are crippled in some way or another. I have not played with Scarm or Anyrail, but the 1st three I have used. CadRail and 3rd PlanIt were ok, although for me they were not intuitive and if I wanted to upgrade - around $80 to $100. Xtrack is completely free. The 1st three allow you to design buildings and bridges so they are more of a full blown CAD application. Also the 1st three have somewhat of a learning curve so start small if you choose one of those. I know the 1st three have track/turnout templates, think that Scarm does but not sure about Anyrail. From what I have read, matching some manufacture of track with another is either not likely, or a PITA; if you do not use Flex. Turnout geometry is different between manufactures also, so you have to watch for that.

1:1 print of your layout is possible from the 1st three above, not sure about the last two. I would not do that big print as my layout is in a 40x30 building and that would get confusing almost immediately placing the paper correctly. Instead, I choose to 1:1 print those spots that are complicated and or jammed up to check fitment.

Note that I have been an Xtrack user for many years. Does it do absolutely everything? Nope. I am comfortable with it and see no reason to change. I do use FreeCad for building/part design and don't bother with Xtrack doing that kind of stuff.

Best bet is to choose ALL of them to start, play with them for a week or three and then go with the one that turns your crank.

Later

I’m actually thinking of downloading some track planning software. Any suggestions?
Scarm is ok but it only lets you have 50 track bits unless you buy it, so have to design in sections.. which is fair enough, but I think it's a bit expensive to be honest unless you are likely to get your money's worth.
I used XTrackCad too which is totally free and open source. It is fairly good, but has no frills like 3D rendering etc.. I can load my Kato bits into it and have no complaints for free, it's been useful planning my layout.

XTrackCAD would have been my next go to. Getting the 3D stuff like SCARM offers is not something to die over.

I got passed Scarms 50 piece issue by switching to flextrack after I got my curves laid with sectional track. You van also do your layout in sections.

Could you put an OS and software you want on an external drive and boot from that? Not one byte is changed on the company machine and yet you have full control of your OS and software.

Could you put an OS and software you want on an external drive and boot from that? Not one byte is changed on the company machine and yet you have full control of your OS and software.
Depends on the company.. I work for a telecoms company as a programmer and it's classed as essential national infrastructure. If I stuck a usb drive in my work laptop it sets off all kind of alarms. We are not even allowed to use "local storage" at least not for anything work related unless it's in sync which is a one way delete to the cloud.

Back