On30 in Kansas

KansasScout

Hello, I use the handle Kansas Scout online. I am D. L. Hemmingway and I am building an On30 set in Kansas during Kansas' Coal Mining Days. It's loosely based on a 3 foot gauge railroad that ran in Northeast and North Central Kansas in the 1870s and 1880s. I am going to model in the later Coal era 1940s to 1960s. Coal Mining was next to Wheat Farming as an industry in Kansas from the late 1800s into the middle 1900s. In the area of Kansas I now live there was a mix of strip and shaft mines with the last one closing in the late 1960s or early 1970s due to the Clean Air Act. My fictitious railroad will run from the Kansas River east of the unincorporated town of Tecumseh, KS east of Topeka in east central Shawnee County connecting the imaginary river town of Meek (named for Dave Meek of Thunder Mesa Studios) to the equally imaginary Osage County mining town of Underwood (named for the owner of Cerro Gordo, CA on the YouTube Channel Ghost Town Living.) Between Meek and Underwood the railroad also services farm communities, coal mines and rock quarries. In this alternate history to Kansas the railroad survived the demise of coal as a tourist line, but mostly I will be operating it in the post war years from the late 1940s into the mid-1960s.

Hello, I use the handle Kansas Scout online. I am D. L. Hemmingway and I am building an On30 set in Kansas during Kansas' Coal Mining Days. It's loosely based on a 3 foot gauge railroad that ran in Northeast and North Central Kansas in the 1870s and 1880s. I am going to model in the later Coal era 1940s to 1960s. Coal Mining was next to Wheat Farming as an industry in Kansas from the late 1800s into the middle 1900s. In the area of Kansas I now live there was a mix of strip and shaft mines with the last one closing in the late 1960s or early 1970s due to the Clean Air Act. My fictitious railroad will run from the Kansas River east of the unincorporated town of Tecumseh, KS east of Topeka in east central Shawnee County connecting the imaginary river town of Meek (named for Dave Meek of Thunder Mesa Studios) to the equally imaginary Osage County mining town of Underwood (named for the owner of Cerro Gordo, CA on the YouTube Channel Ghost Town Living.) Between Meek and Underwood the railroad also services farm communities, coal mines and rock quarries. In this alternate history to Kansas the railroad survived the demise of coal as a tourist line, but mostly I will be operating it in the post war years from the late 1940s into the mid-1960s.
Sounds interesting,

As a Gunsmoke fan, set late 1870's (loosely, ignoring some of the hairdo's) I like hearing about the state. They frequently mention cities around Dodge and rarely mention the train, however there is a depot there so must have had trackage.

Good luck and hope to see your work on the Forum!

Greetings and Welcome from another Kansan. I'm near Wichita, but know about the narrow gauge coal roads of eastern part of the state. I'm on the old Frisco line.

Interested in seeing your work. We have the coffee shop if you like to visit and get to know us.

Welcome to the Forum.

Your layout sounds amazing, I look forward to seeing how you incorporate all these various industries into your layout, as well as the layout itself.

We love seeing everyone's work, so foto's as it progresses would be welcome.

Back