Old white wash brick building effect.

MOWboss

I need to make a "flat" and have the Atlas HO Middlesex Manufacture Company. The brick details are good but the finished effect can be better.
I like the old and worn out look (a lot like me....).
I'll show you how quick & easy it is to paint the building white and make it show its age and poor upkeep with materials probably sitting on your shelf.
1689347335429.png

As usual trim, clean, remove any flash and prep for paint. I had three old spray cans of "close to a brick color." Spray on color at any random area, spot, etc...
Fast forward - the whole building will be covered with white paint and scrubbed off at random areas revealing the brick color underneath. The effect looks best when the revealed brick area has multiple color tones.

Beg me a moment to vent - I've sworn off Rust-Oleum spray products. This crazy idea that you can spray upside down translates to you can never clean the spray nozzle. DUH! I have several half to near full Rust-Oleum spray cans that prove it. BTW - the three spray can brands I used were all partial and perhaps 8 + years old. All with old style nozzles and turned upside down to clean when finished.

THIS RANDOM PAINT STEP IS NOT NECESSARY.

1689347490584.png

Let dry overnight.

Apply about three light coats of hairspray. Avoid nuns. You can recoat once dry - about 10 minutes. Let dry overnight.
1689347581566.png

The dry hairspray will form a barrier for the next step.

Spray the entire wall (white) with your final top color. Notice that uniformity is not critical for this step. I found that letting the Krylon white primer sit for about five minutes worked well for me. I did one building wall at a time. The longer the paint cures the harder you have to scrub. Other spray brands, temperature, humidity might take longer/sooner to dry. You're looking for a not wet, not tacky but has started to harden.
1689347733113.png
before

1689347805162.png
after ( white spray paint dried for 5 - 7 minutes)

Scrub random areas with warm water and a soft toothbrush. Rinse brush in warm water often and scrub at will. Don't be afraid of using more water to help release the paint. Remember the effect your trying for - Less is better. You have time to step back and see if the wall effect looks right for you.
Don't get hung up on the 5 to 7 minutes - you can wait 30 - 40 minutes but you'll need to scrub harder & use more water as the paint hardens.
The dry hairspray is blocking the paint from reaching the brick. The warm water and brushing action will release the still curing paint. Once satisfied let the walls dry completely overnight and give them a light coat of Dullcote.

DONE!

You can embellish chalks and such

You can practice on an inside wall and establish a drying/working time for the spray paints your using.

This kit has 5 walls and when placed side by side will stretch 36+". All 5 walls were painted separately.
1689348078405.png

This is a close up of why I used three different colors in the beginning. You can see that part of the chimney is more brown that other parts and to me that enhances the detail
1689348134337.png

This is another long wall and you can see light and dark brick shading in various areas.

I painted the windows/doors black and will probably apply a sponge rust effect to them.

Sorry to disappoint but I won't be completing this flat any time in the near future. This kit has around 80+ windows and I'm provided with a couple of sheets of clear plastic to cut and fit for glazing - lucky me....... There are 5 separate walls and I'm not sure how they will be arranged. Lots of boring rainy day work to be done.

My intent was to show how I make a brick building look old and weather worn. I've not tried it yet but I think this technique has great potential for an aged white washed stone building.

Sorry about the uderline - don't know what happened...

Enjoy

That's such a cool effect. I'm definitely going to try this on one of the many buildings I gotta make! Thank you for sharing!

Back