Old dog...new tricks...

hfd

I'm 66 years old and just starting in N Scale...reading glasses help a lot...My Kato P 42 stopped responding...I removed the body and wiggled things...nothing...I thought to reset the DN163K0A decoder on the frame...don't lose the little plastic plug...which I immediately did...uh oh...

After some time on my hands and knees, with two dogs' assistance, I came to the conclusion that I would not find the lost plug...what to do...with a bit of luck I quickly learned that by pushing down on the two tabs the locomotive would run...

Being unsure if I could order the part from Kato I decided nothing ventured, nothing gained...or whatever that trite saying is...solder seemed in order...I did, it worked...my feeling was almost orgasmic although I didn't yell oh God nor did I cry...I'm pleased...

I'm almost tempted to solder my other three locomotives...I suspect I'll wait until disaster strikes however...

You are bold to start off in N scale at 66. At 56 when I decided to restart in the hobby, I considered N but with my eyesight and lessening mobility in my hands I decided to stay with HO even though I could model so much more with N.

Best of luck, this is a great forum to get help in.

We,come aboard.

Welcome to the forum and best o' luck with the N scale thing.
I'm mainly HO and there are days I have a hard time with my G scale parts!

Room pretty well dictated the scale...my layout table is 5 x 7...for some reason my wife said no to the livingroom...:D

Stuck in N scale

:)My Grandfather started me out in N scale, so I have been with it for years, although if I had it to do over, there is so much great stuff for HO, especially the craftsmen kits, and details. I do love my N though...long trains, and little people..good times...plus it's easier to cover up mistakes on the models. have fun, greatest hobby ever.

The story of the little plastic plug sounds VERY familiar. I've had plenty of tiny parts jump into the air and vanish completely. The most recent one I lost was a really nice air horn casting. I don't know what planet they go to...maybe the same place as missing socks from the laundry? Seriously, invest in an Optivisor if you haven't already, and welcome to N scale!

Back