Old Diorama -> New Layout

bklynman01

I'm in the process of preparing to lay my siding tracks on the new layout. Part of this was to put the buildings in place and make sure everything laid out the way I wanted it to. I have a brewery built specifically for this layout, so that was fairly easy. Of course, that wasn't enough. So took out this old diorama I had made before starting the layout. It is simply a single track with a freight station. The plan was to use the freight station, with some type of road leading to/from. After checking the size of the entire kit on the layout, I realized it is WAY to big. And so, the buildings need to be separated.
20140802_224834.jpg20140802_224843.jpg20140802_224855.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
After separating, the kit needed some work. This was not the first plastic kit I had every built, but it sure looked like it! Basically, I added mortar to the bricks and that really improved the look. To check the mixture of colors, I tested in the least visible area. After deciding it looked good, the rest was done.

20141014_213107.jpg20141014_213129.jpg

Only the one building is pictured here. I had to remove the windows and doors to keep from getting the mortar off of everything. I used a sponge brush to get the white in the cracks, then just a damp paper towel to remove the mortar from the bricks. The inconsistency of using the paper towel creates the realism that I am looking for.

After getting that done, I placed the two building on the layout to make sure it would work the way I want. Here is what I have so far:
20141025_111112.jpg
The freight station works pretty well in it's location. The office building section will be in the center up on a hill. The current plan is to have the brewery left, freight right, coal mine on the currently non-existent mountain at the top left, and a brothel in the middle of it all. There will be a lot of work that goes into that building, with lights in individual rooms (red of course) and some curtains drawn with others open. I'm kind of looking forward to finishing this building, however it will be what I work on while waiting for something on the layout to dry or set - which is often enough!

The first thing to figure out is how to close up the hole on the side of the building. This is where the freight station section butted up to the office building before. Not sure why the kit didn't have it closed up to begin with, but this is what I have to work with. I'll likely leave it open until I get the detail on the inside all finished up.

20141014_203406.jpg

More to come as it progresses!

Back