OK Free-mo

This past Weekend the Oklahoma Free-mo group had their first group setup for the Spring Train Show May 3rd & 4th at the Oklahoma State Fairgrounds here in OKC. We had 5 participants that assisted with setting up, running trains and taking down. There were 8 module sets and it was operated as a point to point, about 25% of the modules were completed with the remaining in various stages of completion. The trains were running before the show opened on Saturday at 0900!! A few of the Team Members operated trains while the others enjoyed the show or worked on their modules. Overall it was a great weekend and I look forward to the next event!

Here are some pictures of the more completed modules:

Todd-mo_zps40b546b3.jpg

Eastman-mo_zps1749c1ac.jpg

Greg1_zps8cfdcf60.jpg

Here are a few of not so completed modules:

Longsiding_zps3497f1a8.jpg

MP44_zps0bad018d.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Brendan

The boxes are for the 6 conductor data wire AKA loconet. They make it so that you don't have wires hanging from the end of your modules and keeps things clean. I am trying to do a better job keeping my wiring organized and neat.

Why the single track modules? Doesn't this restrict the number of trains and the direction they move? I understand the use of sidings but that is going to decrease the lengths of the trains as the sidings on the modules dictate.

Why the single track modules? Doesn't this restrict the number of trains and the direction they move? I understand the use of sidings but that is going to decrease the lengths of the trains as the sidings on the modules dictate.

That is the appeal. Instead setting a train loose to chase its tail while you sit and look bored you have to operate. I haven't been to a setup so large you couldn't see the length of the run so coordinating with other operators isn't hard. I've seen photos of other setups so large enough it takes over an hour to get from one end to the other. I don't know if then you have a dispatcher or not.

Freemo doesn't make a loop like traditional module setups. It is usually point to point and will sometimes have reverse loops at one or both ends. Somewhere there is usually a yard to pick up and drop off cars and hopefully lots of industries to switch. The main point though is operation.

The free-mo standard is only DCC. I would think it would be very difficult to have a standard with cab control; just the wiring nightmare alone would make it impractical.

Brendan

Ever since Free-Mo came out, with the first object being operations, I have been fascinated by it. I would love to see a Free-Mo group get started in our area, but so far, the enthusiasm for it just isn't there.

Maybe one day.

Ever since I saw a setup in Wichita Kansas 6 years ago I was hooked on the concept. What is neat is there is no front of back on the modules so they can be flipped around as needed to utilize the space to its maximum potential. Even on our small layout we could have a few people running trains at the same time and keep the public entertained. I had a few of them follow me for 30 minutes as I switched, which gives you an opportunity to talk to them and gauge their interest.

Back