Oh Selector, This is the real Seneca Falls...

rhoward

S.L.O.&W. Trainman
Hey Selector , thought you might want to see a few photos of the real Seneca Falls here in the heart of the Finger Lakes. Seneca Falls was a stop on the excursion to The NYS Fairgrounds for the Syracuse Train Show yesterday.

SenecaFallsw.png

This was originally a School building:

SenecaFalls2w.png

A couple shots of the old NYC Freight Station in Seneca Falls:

SenecaFallsStation1w.png

SenecaFallsStation3w.png

Seneca Falls is at the North end of Cayuga Lake. Some shots of the lake near the Finger Lakes RW ROW:

CayugaLake2w.png

CayugaLake3w.png

CayugaLake4w.png

The end of the lake is a wonderfully preserved Watershed called The Montezuma National Wildlife Refuge.

CayugaLake6w.png

Some ducks flew away as the train rolled past:

Ducksw.png

I gotta figure out how to model this on my layout!

CayugaLake5w.png

Enjoy!

Thank-you, Ray!! What a beautiful place...so typical of the NE U.S.A., southern Ontario and Quebec. I just wish I could have made my "Seneca Falls" look like that.

How was the excursion, otherwise? You may recall that I had my own adventure in Kamloops not too many weeks back, and that we ran into a gravel truck towing 6-7 tons of hay rolls on a flatbed trailer.

-Crandell

beautiful time of year.

My entire family is from Syracuse....grandparents owned a camp on Lake Skaneatlas (sp?) which I'm sure you're familiar with.

Crandell, glad you liked them. Our Seneca Falls may have been the "original" for the town Bedford Falls in the old movie, "It's a Wonderful Life". From a trivia site on the movie, "The name of Bedford Falls was combined from Bedford Hills, in Westchester County, New York, and Seneca Falls, a small town midway between Rochester and Syracuse. The town of Elmira, mentioned by the bank examiner, is a real town in New York, not that far from the actual Seneca Falls."

Some more info for those who are into this type of thing, http://www.nps.gov/archive/wori/wonderful.htm

Seneca Falls is also the home of the Women's Right National Park. Weve been rable rousers around here for a long time.

chimmike, we past Lake Skaneateles on the way to and back from the show. I have been camping in that area a long time ago.

Back