O scale question

JoeG

New to N scale
I was wondering if you could do an out door layout in O scale if you built a building to protect the engines from the weather. Would the track have any problem in the weather, I live in the desert so rain isn't to big of a concern.

There are lots of O scale outdoor layouts. I hear it takes more attention to maintenance but they are typically successfully and happy with the results. A shed is recommended regardless of scale.

Thanks you for the info. I'll be looking for retailers that sell out door O scale trains now.

Update

I have made a rendering of my rail yard which will be located on the side of my yard. I provided a jpg for the rail yard and another to show where in my yard they will be placed (in the red box). Let me know what you think of it. I made the Box car house big enough to hold many cars so I could keep them out of the elements. I'd also like to have the inner circle connected to the rail yard somehow I just haven’t figured it out yet.
View attachment 34749

View attachment 34750

On the boxcar shed tracks if you use right-hand turnouts instead of left-hand turnouts the ladder track will be straight instead of S-curvy, and the cars will roll more smoothly through the ladder.

It also seems odd to have the turntable lead go into deep into the yard. If you mirror the engine facility so the lead track goes out to the left it would have better "flow".

Let me know what you think of it.
In addition to what LoudMusic said, Why do you bring the track all the way out to the edge of the table and then ladder it back? Why not just keep that track along the back side. Seems like it would be a lot better use of the space.

quote] just a crossing or crossover on that back track.

Back