O scale Loinel in Gumby

The train is a Marx set with a metal 2-4-2 #666. I had one just like it when I was a kid. Haven't seen an episode of Gumby in many years. Good link, thanks.

Greg

Gumby had a LOT of model trains in it. Here are other episodes I recall...

"Toy Crazy/Toy Joy" - At one point when Gumby's exploring around, he slides past the same Marx train from "Little Lost Pony." Then later Gumby finds an HO-scale Tyco train set with a Pennsylvania Railroad 0-4-0 steam locomotive, some freight cars and a caboose. This is the present he decides to get for his birthday! But the train refuses to go without a fight. The train in this one is able to carry its tracks wherever it goes, meaning it can travel anywhere. There's also a Marx O-scale railroad crossing signal with lights and a "STOP ON RED SIGNAL" sign underneath the lights, seen at the crossing where Gumby and Pokey first see the train.

"The Fantastic Farmer" - Gumby rides on the same train from "Little Lost Pony" at one point on his way to the farm Pokey lives on.

"Gumby Business" - Near the end of the cartoon, Gumby relaxes on some O-scale railroad tracks and Pokey gets curious about a red box with a black switch, which turns out to be a control transformer for the train set the tracks go to! Gumby nearly gets run over by a Marx train that appears to have a 4-6-2 New York Central steam engine, some freight cars and a caboose. Luckily, Gumby manages to get out of the way in time. I like the music and sound effects here; the controller makes a funky cartoony sci-fi noise when turned on, and they used real steam train sound effects for the model train set, and there's some nice fast quirky string-bases stock music playing during the sequence (these old Gumby shorts used a LOT of Capitol Hi-Q stock music cues).

"Train Trouble" - Loads of model trains galore! First off, there's a Tyco HO-scale 0-4-0 steam locomotive. I can't make out the railroad name on the tender. Then there's also an O-scale Lionel 2-6-2 steam locomotive. It appears to be a Pennsylvania Railroad locomotive judging by the logo on the front. The small train has a kinky-little whistle that sounds like a sound editor blowing into a toy train whistle, but the large train has a regular, deeper-sounding steam locomotive whistle.

You can view all the classic episodes here:
http://cinema.lycos.com/title/37278

It includes the ones from the 1950s and 1960s (complete with original soundtracks intact), and the ones from the 1980s revival series.

That was good stuff. Had me on the edge of my seat!...and I always wondered what would happen if you eat 100 ice cream cones. :D

I apologize for the thread bump, but here are some neat screencaps of more classic Gumby episodes with model trains in them. These are NOT on YouTube (I downloaded them from a torrent, all of them have their original soundtracks intact as well).

This batch of pics are from the short "Gumby Business"...

GumbyTrain1.jpg

Near the end of the episodes, just as Gumby relaxes on a set of O-scale railroad tracks, Pokey comes up to this model train control transformer box (I think it's a Marx model). Note the O-scale Marx railroad crossing gate next to it.

GumbyTrain2.jpg

Naturally, Pokey must be thinking "Ooh, what does THIS button do?" as he switches on the controls as we hear funky cartoon/sci-fi machine sounds...

GumbyTrain3.jpg

But he doesn't know that he just switched on the model train set the tracks go to!

GumbyTrain4.jpg

Gumby hears the distant train whistle blaring loudly and looks on, as Pokey neighs in a panicked tone and doesn't even try to stop the train!

GumbyTrain5.jpg

I'm not sure the exact model for the engine, but it looks like it might be a Marx 4-6-2 New York Central steam locomotive.

GumbyTrain6.jpg

Luckily, Gumby manages to avoid getting hit by the train at the last second. Note that at this part, the locomotive is different! (This is because the previous shots of the model train were recycled from an older Gumby short entitled "Baby Gumby.")

GumbyTrain7.jpg

The ATSF caboose on the train.

Here are pics from "Train Trouble"...

GumbyTrain8.jpg

Gumby has just won a cereal company's latest contest and is sent a model train for his prize. It's an HO-scale train, with some kind of 0-4-0 steam locomotive. I don't know what company made it; it might be either Marx or Tyco (my best guess is Tyco for now). This train is able to carry its tracks wherever it goes, thus enabling it to travel anywhere it wants. This makes it difficult for Gumby to play with the train.

GumbyTrain9.jpg

Here's another shot of the train. Note that the animators used cotton to simulate smoke for the stop-motion effects of the train traveling by itself. I can't make out the railroad name on the tender. Anyways, the model train didn't like how Gumby was treating it (he tried to keep it in place using a steam shovel and building blocks), so the train goes into a toy store and meets up with another train...

GumbyTrain10.jpg

THIS model train is an O-scale steam engine! I am not sure what company made it; I'm guessing it's a Lionel. The engine part appears to be a Pennsylvania Railroad 2-6-2 steam locomotive, but the tender has another railroad company's name on it!

GumbyTrain11.jpg

Like the small train, the O-scale train also has a mind of its own and carries its tracks wherever it travels. The small train explains in "train horn" language how Gumby was treating it; the large train responds with its own deeper-sounding whistle. Also note the Marx railroad crossing signal in the background. Anyways, the larger model train spots Gumby poking around in the toy store and sets off to mow him down for mistreating the HO-scale train!

GumbyTrain12.jpg

Gumby gets the bright idea of fighting back using a toreador's hat and red sheet! As Mexican bullfighting-type music plays in the soundtrack, Gumby manages to "bullfight" the train and is lucky enough to avoid it the first two times...

GumbyTrain13.jpg

Note the "SLOW" sign panicking and getting out of the way when the Lionel train hurtles towards Gumby.

GumbyTrain14.jpg

The large model train manages to defeat Gumby by ramming him!

GumbyTrain15.jpg

But since the cartoon must have a happy ending, the small HO-scale train returns to Gumby. It's reluctant at first, until Gumby promises to get along.

GumbyTrain16.jpg

Even though he has to shrink in order to ride the train, things look just about perfect from then on!

More to come...

Again I apologize for this thread bump, but here are a few more Gumby episodes with model trains in them...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9pmf5SZM78k
This one is "Point of Honor." The train is first seen at 2:17. Gumby tries to run over Prickle using an American Flyer-manufactured PRR O-scale steam locomotive (he's jealous at Prickle for flirting with his girlfriend Goo). When Prickle tries stopping it with a magnet, Gumby manages to make the train start to swing around the magnet base and have the rest of the freight cars appear by magic! (He manages to slap Prickle with a New Haven caboose.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7s-f64mFNgQ
"A Bone for Nopey." The trains are first seen at 2:50. The little green steam locomotive looks like an N-scale model of some sort. Beginning at 2:57, the same American Flyer O-scale PRR steam train is seen (Gumby uses this to try and push his dog Nopey's giant dinosaur bone into a hole.) More trains show up at 4:01; Pokey is on some kind of American Flyer-manufactured Southern Pacific diesel, Goo is on another kind of steam engine, and Prickle is on a Union Pacific diesel locomotive (all are O-scale). They manage to push the bone into the hole together, but unfortunately destroy their trains in the process.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYKGMNApfZg
"Just Train Crazy." No O-scale here, but still plenty of model trains galore. Gumby has an N-scale train set of some kind with a 2-8-2 steam locomotive and some freight cars (including a flatcar to carry the main characters' cookies and milk), but the engine is destroyed when Denali (a mastrodon) accidentally steps on it, so in true wacky sitcom tradition, Pokey and Prickle must try and replace it. At 3:17, some HO-scale trains are seen (including what looks like a Tyco/Life-Like 0-4-0 steam locomotive, and an ATSF and Union Pacific F7 diesel locomotive.) Then at 3:22, there's a model train that talks and has a mind of its own. The close-up shots appear to be of a G-scale train set of some kind, and long-shots show an HO-scale model, in which Pokey and Prickle go for a wild ride on.

Any comments?

Back