O gauge - Black ties vs Brown Ties

ChinaHaun19

How about a new post about a classic argument?

I have a layout featuring N, HO, O and G trains all in a 8 x 12 foot area. I just like the different characteristics of the different size model trains. I have also been one to like trying different track systems for each size. I like the different sound, look and feel that different track gives you. I have Realtrax, which is nice. But I also have both O27 tubular (brown ties) and O gauge tubular (Black Ties).

I differ from many people. I prefer the heavier O gauge tubular track instead of O27. The reason I like the Black Tie track more is that it is bolder, heavier, and gives you a feel of sturdiness and heaviness and when you watch the O gauge train roll on it, you see the track holds in place solid as the train flies down the track. Most of my O gauge tubular track is new, some left over new Lionel track from a hobby store and some from Menards.com, and is has a shiny, nice, new metal look to it.

These reasons are the same reason I was excited about getting a G gauge set. LGB G Brass track is also heavy and solid and is great to look at.

IMG-7777.jpg

I prefer the heavier O gauge tubular track instead of O27. The reason I like the Black Tie track more is that it is bolder, heavier, and gives you a feel of sturdiness and heaviness and when you watch the O gauge train roll on it,
I have to agree there, other than the reason. I like the standard O tubular better because it has more ties per section of track. I always thought the O-27 seemed umm umm skimpy in the tie category.

Of course over all for O-gauge track I am still in the Atlas Century camp, which has black ties.

Last edited:
I have to agree there, other that the reason. I like the standard O tubular better because it has more ties per section of track. I always thought the O-27 seemed umm umm skimpy in the tie category.

Of course over all for O-gauge track I am still in the Atlas Century camp, which has black ties.

Oh yeah, Atlas Century is a little nicer than anything tubular just on account of what it is...

I have considered this Atlas track, though have yet to bite mostly because of limits on what I can afford and funds being eaten by higher priorities. Actually, one of my local hobby stores technically stocks Atlas Century among their track that they sell, but I say "technically" because the last few times I have visited, there is hardly any of it in stock, and probably not enough for me to buy enough to make a big oval. Kind of sad, a lot of hobby stores are not exactly rolling in it nowadays and some things like this wind up going by the wayside.

I still make a point in frequenting my local hobby stores. While I usually will buy Rolling Stock online, I will almost always get my track, as well as new train sets, at the hobby stores. Often times when looking for specific things in rolling stock online is the way to go... But hobby stores are more fun, and I like the instant gratification of schlepping down there and getting the track or other stuff NOW, and I like contribute to small business.

Although you can do insurance and signature required, I do get queasy about expensive things being shipped to me anyway, so if I am in the market for a new train set, or a new locomotive or other major purchase, I am getting it at a hobby store. If I have to drive 2 hours to a more distant store to get it, so be it.

Back