O GAUGE AND HO GAUGE

ChinaHaun19

Weeks after switching to Realtrax, my layout is expanding and taking new form. I changed the oval to 054 curvature…thereby increasing my speed limit! And due to lack of viable use for the 031 I repurposed that for “rolling stock parking lot”

my HO Bachmann snakes about inside of the grand layout

Looking good, ChinaHaun19. No matter what scale of train(s) you have, the bigger the curve, the better they look AND run on them. But not in a race track sorta' way. Slot cars are for race tracks, not trains! o_O

Your next step may be to learn about easements. Real trains incorporate easements in their curves, where the trains ease into, and ease out of, the curved trackage. They don't slam-dunk into and out of curves, like our model trains usually do.

You can mimic easements on your RealTrax oval by obtaining 4 pieces of O82 curved track, and 4 pieces of O72 curved track. For the half-circle at one end of your oval, start with a piece of O82. Attach a piece of O72. Then 3 pieces of O54. Then another O72, and finally an O82. This completes your 180 degree, half circle at this end. Now, go do the exact same thing at the other end, and you will have your new oval, complete with easements.

Believe it or not, your new oval with easements will only add 6" to your current width. I can guarantee this, because this is exactly what I have as the outer loop on my 6' x 16' layout table. I'm really happy with the way my trains look and run on it. I'm sure you would be, too, if you choose to go ahead and give it a try sometime in the future. 👍

Back