Not good odds on a build gone bad

kjd

Go make something!
I like numbers, for example many recent projects have numbers that add up to 21 or 13. Just for fun. Another one that's been on the todo list awhile has been BN 5050, a C30-7. 5050 as in "you'll probably make it". Except when you don't.

I'm going to Ohio from Oregon to see the eclipse next week. Later in the week is a Free-mo set up an hour from where I'm staying. I thought I'd bring some trains and would like to bring a pair of C30-7s just because they sound so cool and even better in a pair. One has been done for awhile, BN 5529 (21). The second was to be 5050. Things were going pretty well over the last couple months, I'd 3d printed a new cab and truck sideframes, added some detail, painted it, decalled it and was clearcoating the frame when bad things happened.

I sprayed the dullcote on the chassis and set it upside down on its weights. As I turned to set the airbrush down, I saw it rolling over off my stand. It landed in my hand and rolled out, I caught again but it was still rolling, and almost caught it one more time before it landed on the concrete floor. In the process of rolling, I got finger prints in the fresh dullcote all over the fuel tank and when it landed, broke 3 of the 4 printed sideframes. Since I leave for the show in the morning, that was that.

It turns out on the prototype, 5050 on the roads that had that number, it isn't a popular number. After all 1 in 2 odds isn't that good. And this time it didn't make it...

It will be repaired and run with its partner soon but I can't help but laugh that this time the joke's on me.

C68E1A0D-88EC-48A4-84A2-E4B521DFB1C1.jpeg

Back