Northern Pacific F-9 7012A

montanan

Whiskey Merchant
While rummaging around in some old boxes of model railroad goodies I found these photos that I took either in the late 70's or early 80's at the Burlington Northern shops in Livingston, MT.

Marvin Varnes, the shop supervisor had given me a phone call saying that they had just completed a restoration on the locomotive and were getting ready to ship it off to the railroad Museum in Seattle. I was off like a shot and over the pass I went to the shops. I was a bit disappointed that it didn't have the proper pine tree paint job that I remembered so well growing up, nit I had to take photos. There were scanned.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

This locomotive was used in the movie Runaway Train which came out years ago. I have seen a couple of videos of it in action, with the correct paint job on the nose line the model pictured below.

attachment.php

Here it is in action.

[video]http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=northern+pacific+7012a&FORM=VIRE7#view=de tail&mid=27A6E802782CBDD9C35427A6E802782CBDD9C354[/video]

I keep finding items I totally forgot about. Think I have too much stuff.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice shots! I'm always tempted by that scheme.
I know what you mean about too much stuff, I recently picked something up off Feebay and put it on the shelf right next to the one I already had!

I was a bit disappointed that it didn't have the proper pine tree paint job that I remembered so well growing up, nit I had to take photos.
I'm more than a bit disappointed. They didn't even get the filled in pine tree lines up the nose at the right angle(s). I do like the chrome yellow they used.

I am assuming that it was a simplified paint job because they were in quite a hurry to get it out of there. Not long after I shot these photos it was put into a train and was on its way west. Have those photos too, but have no idea where they're at.

Here's another video I found.

[video=youtube;-uJHHW5W8V4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-uJHHW5W8V4[/video]

Back