North American Railyards

Alcomotive

Grandson of an ALCO Builder
I obtained a book a while ago I thought to share with you guys and gals.

It is called "North American Railyards" by Michael Rhodes. I must say I usually dont buy to many books from the publishers of MBI but this one is by far the best that they have ever printed that was worth its weight in gold. If you are considering on doing your own yard and need a little insight or even want info on your favorit railroad, it is in it. It has a every yard you can think of in this book. Dont believe me. Try me. It is there. Pictures, diagrams, location for photography, and more this author traveled across the US doing just that. He did all the research and visited everyone of them. Incredible! Trust me on this... I give this book 5 stars plus 5 more!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/reader/076...ZRuQZpfDvpQFaYyBmWCqvZuFyAeGskBw=#reader-link

View attachment 7471

Looks like a great book. Does it say where the yard on the cover is located? It looks like Yermo, CA to me. They used to have a great crew restaurant there and the public was allowed to eat too. Some of the best Thanksgiving turkey dinners I ever had I got at Yermo. Alas, like so much else, it's gone with the wind. :(

Looks like a great book. Does it say where the yard on the cover is located? It looks like Yermo, CA to me. They used to have a great crew restaurant there and the public was allowed to eat too. Some of the best Thanksgiving turkey dinners I ever had I got at Yermo. Alas, like so much else, it's gone with the wind. :(

I looked at the inside dust cover and it doesnt state where it was taken...then I looked up Yermo yard and none of those pics looked like the cover on the dust jacket...sry man I tried figure it out I will keep browsing the book to figure it out....:confused: :eek:

Wait I found it! It is in fact Yermo Yard, taken in March 1993 and shot was taken from the west side with the 2 UP mainlines on the right....

Right you are!:p :D :D

Cool, thanks Alco. They changed the mainline configuration in the mid-80's. I spent a lot of time out there in the mid 60's and 70's and thought I recognized the yard and landscape. It was a great place to train watch right from the railroad restaurant. The days of DD-40's and even an occasional Big Blow. The UP used to be a great railroad for engine variety with everything from Baldwins to Alco's to FM's working that yard. They were all gone by the late 70's though and the UP began its downward path to standardization.

This is exactly why I model UP...their diversity or rather multiple locomotive manufacturers on their roster over the years... you name it they had it...just about all of it. (real close to all of it...there are a few exceptions) If they didnt initially order the units they bought into it via mergers. Anyway I dont think any one would argue that?

I have the book. It's a good book, overall. Though I did note that the author spent something like 10yrs travelling the US to cover the yards he did. So, some of the older dates may not be as accurate as the yard was when the book was published.

That's a minor thing, though. It's informative enough as it is.

Kennedy

Back