No speed control DC

goscrewyourselves

I'm the one
So I have been redoing my little "Test Track Layout" and have about half of the trackwork down. That track work is powered by one set of feeders from an MRC 1370 DC Controller.

Anyway, thought I'd see how the trackwork looked and used one of my DC Kato engines as a test run. As soon as I turned the MRC on the engine powered up and took off like a bullet. It is either Go or Stop with no speed control in between? I then tried a couple of other DC engines and got the same issue - 100 MPH or dead stopped!

I have never experienced this before so am at a loss as to what is going on. Can anyone give me an idea of what the problem is please.

Sorry mate, I'm no help with this one, be interested to see what the problem is when you find the answer.

Do you have another controller?

Probably a power spike took out the potentiometer in the power pack. Those power packs are notorious for doing things like that. Usually, they'll send a 50 volt power spike into the decoder and fry it. FWIW, Rapido Trains will not honor the warranbty on any DCC engine that was powered using one. I'd recommend getting a new power pack, just so you don't accidentally damage an engine.

I'm with Willie, otherwise the transformer is toast. I have had some of the older ones with AC bleed through which is why I tossed all my older units.

Are the wires attached to the fixed voltage terminals instead of the variable voltage ones???
Bingo - we have a winner and I am an IDIOT!!!!!

The MRC 1370 I used is the same one I used for my Accessories - lighting my Station etc ... so the wires were attached to the "Accessories AC" terminals. In a nutshell - I didn't change them OR add wiring to the "Track DC" terminals ....... as said, I'm an idiot :(

The question now is - have I hurt the engines I used to test the track work?

The MRC 1370 I used is the same one I used for my Accessories - lighting my Station etc ... so the wires were attached to the "Accessories AC" terminals. In a nutshell - I didn't change them OR add wiring to the "Track DC" terminals ....... as said, I'm an idiot :(

Ah! No mate, sorry to say your not an idiot, mistakes happen to us all, at least you now know not to do it again :)
Seems Twinboystrain hit the nail on the head.

From what you said earlier, both trains went off like rockets, so a few seconds will, I doubt, have caused any serious motor damage, however the first one that went literally flying will probably need some TLC.

Glad you got it sorted tho':)

Last edited:
Thanks @Smudge617 I hope your right as the three engines I tried were brand new. I'm a bit worried about the steamer I tried though - it shorted out so I think I may have fried that one :( We will see though when I attach the wiring to the CORRECT terminals.

It wasn't too long. I know my Kato Deisel still runs BUT my little Steamer has bit the dust I think. I get nothing out of it and I have no idea how to fix it :(
You'll have to take it apart to check, but you could have damaged the winding :( Hopefully you've just fried a wire, which is an easy fix

It is the "taking it apart" but that I have no idea of how to do. Even if I did, I honestly doubt I'd be able to get it back together so it ran anyway. The really REALLY annoying thing is it was one of my little (no longer available) Kato Mikes - and that makes me a very unhappy person :(

It is the "taking it apart" but that I have no idea of how to do. Even if I did, I honestly doubt I'd be able to get it back together so it ran anyway. The really REALLY annoying thing is it was one of my little (no longer available) Kato Mikes - and that makes me a very unhappy person :(
Your service sheet should show you where the retaining screws are located, or someone here will definitely know
Steamer usually have a retaining screw under the front truck and a simple clip under the cab

Well, I guess it is useless the way it is so I can't do any further damage I don't think. Might even convert her to DCC while I had it open.

As for the Service Sheet - I didn't get one, this was an engine I was given by someone getting out of N Scale and going to HO from memory. I'll have to do a search and see if I can't find one, or see if Kato can help me.

Thanks Smudge617 - I'll find whatever is needed, diagram at least :) I'm not even 100% sure that it is a Kato, just 95% :)

Okay - phew - its a bachmann!! Not a problem then :)

At least the problem was an easy fix.

Back