NMRA Standards Gauge

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.

Greg@mnrr

Section Hand
FYI:....A fellow Forum member who I believe was NP2626 sometime ago asked a question about the plastic shield surrounding the NMRA Standards Gauge. The plastic snap on shield is the standards clearance gauge for tunnel portals for rolling stock since 1983 when double stacked and high rolling stock made its appearance and higher clearances became necessary.

When the plastic shield is removed the NMRA Standards Gauge can be used like most have become accustomed to using.

Greg

Greg

Selector

Thanks for letting us know. I had no idea that the sheet metal stamped gauge also came with an adaptor for double-stacks. Makes sense, and I heartily agree with the concept.

Turns out I don't need it. My gauge is this, Trix HO, but with the pantograph raised. I need 4.24" overhead for this one locomotive:

wvg_ca

I used an On30 Forney to accomplish much the same purpose , the only piece of On30 that I have, lol
It was easier to use than the gauge, I have two or three of the gauges, I keep misplacing them...

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

ModelRailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.