NMRA Feedback

GNMT76

I'm considering joining the NMRA and wonder if it's worthwhile. Does it really merit the $66 annual membership fee? That seems high vis-a-vis some other organizations to which I belong, all of which produce colorful monthly magazines.

What's the culture of the NMRA? Do the same folks hold office and run things year after year or is there a healthy turnover and sharing of key jobs and responsibilities? Is it open to "fresh blood? From what little I've heard and seen, it appears to be largely a group of men of retirement age.

I ask these questions (realizing some are rather broad or maybe even unknowable without direct, first-hand experience) because of past negative experiences with other (non-railroading) membership organizations, whose modus operandi seemed to be defined by insularity, cliquishness and mistrust.

I'd appreciate any feedback - pros, cons and in between.

Last edited by a moderator:
A lot depends on where you live, i.e. what Division and Region you would belong to. I tried joining back in 2002, but [at the time] there was no active division in the Baltimore area. So my only option was to join the Potomac division [Mid Eastern Region] which had most of its activities in Northern Virginia, a 90-minute drive away, so I didn't last very long.

Is there an active Division close to where you live? If so, going to a few of their meetings and getting to know some of their people beforehand would be the best way to figure out if it's something you want.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, Ken. N. VA is my hometown area, and I recently moved out west. There's a club here, but the one or two members with whom I've spoken didn't seem inclined to extend an invite or express interest when I inquired about its layout and such. Unfortunately, no surprise there.

Have you had experience with or been a member of NMRA itself? That's my bigger question. If so, I welcome your comments.

I was involved in their Achievement Program, or "AP" as it is called, where you do certain mrr-related things and submit your documentation and get Certificates. When you get a certain number (7, I think?) you achieve Master Model Railroader (MMR) status. I was on a quest to earn MMR when I realized I first needed to finish building a layout of my own. Kinda hard to do when you have a young family and a full-time day job.

If you want to find out more about the NMRA itself, the best person here to ask would be Ray (rhoward) - he is very active in his Division. I'm sure you've seen some of his posts on the Weekend Photo Fun thread.

Sorry to hear of your bad experience with the local club members. That's an unfortunate effect of human nature - once people become content in their own circle of friends, it takes effort to step outside of their comfort zone.

Ok, I'll take a stab at this.

**"I'm considering joining the NMRA and wonder if it'll be worthwhile doing so. Is it really worth $66 a year? That seems high vis-a-vis some other organizations to which I belong."

The dues is actually good considering the benefits and the magazine which is actually comparable to MR and RMC. No, you don't have to take the magazine and that cuts down the amount you spend, but I would ask why you would want to do that.

**"What's the culture of the NMRA? How open to newcomers is it or even its affiliated local clubs?"

Ok, that depends upon where you are. I am in the Central Indiana Division and we are very active with three trains shows a year plus two or three modeling meets for members and guests, and layout tours twice a year. In addition, we are holding the National Convention in July. That is in addition to the Region Convention held in the Region once a year. Chicago-Milwaukee is the heart of the Region that we are in.

**"Do the same people hold office and run things year after year or is there a healthy turnover and sharing of jobs and responsibilities?"

Yes there is a turn over. The President is limited in time and has to give way every 3 years to a new President. We also have a few paid staff employees at HQ in Tennessee and that drives up the cost of membership. We set Standards and Recommended Practices for operating layouts and DCC is just one of them.

**"I ask these questions (realizing some are rather broad or maybe even unknowable without direct, first-hand experience) because of past negative experiences with other (non-railroading) membership organizations, whose modus operandi seemed to be defined by insularity, cliquishness and mistrust."

Ok, I can understand that and you may even find some of that here. However, this organization is filled with good people who will go out of their way to help and assist as you need it. If, by chance you are in a division in which thee is no one, you can still get much out of the NMRA. Don't sell us short. We are an active group and welcome new members.

**"I'd appreciate any feedback - pros, cons and in between. "

And there you have my two cents worth. Good luck!

I had considered joining a number of years ago, but living in Montana, anything happening would require me to travel some pretty good distances. I have a friend who was a member living in Rogue River, OR and even living on the coast he traveled some pretty long distances in order to attend activities.

I decided to pass.

I have looked into it myself but just don't have the time to drive to wichita. Maybe they need to see if the can set video meetings for all the people who would like to join that don't live near divisions.

I joined just to support the hobby.

I enjoy reading the magazine and hearing about the local activities.

I was previously an NMRA member for a long time, but stopped renewing when the dues hit $44 per year. I'm surprised and disappointed that they have reached $66. My personal opinion is that the magazine is nowhere near the quality of MR or RMC. I just could not justify the cost of membership. But as Wilt said, it does support the hobby. The NMRA does do good work in that area with its standards and recommended practices. Another benefit is a discount on books (I own more books than I'll ever be able to read) and admission to conventions (which are never held anywhere near where I live).

Back