Next Step?

elsner203

I just finished building my benchwork for my island layout. I have the track planned and all the pieces purchased. I'm ready for the next step, so paint the foam or lay the track first?

I've checked out the forum archives and found members who have put the track down first and others who have painted first. I'm hoping you guys can help me think through the advantages/disadvantages of doing either first.

Here's some background info:
My layout is 4'x6' and is about 50" tall. (I measured the legs to be 48" but forgot about the height of the plywood and foam. Oops)
I'm going to be modeling a pretty modern city layout, but haven't decide what is going where. Not sure how much greenery and landscaping there will be, so I'm not sure how much surface area I'll even need to paint.

This is my first layout, so I'm trying to make it nice, but not too complex. There will be a little river, but it will be more like the LA or Chicago River and not a mountain stream. The bridges are all road bridges instead of rail bridges. Probably not going to mess with a large scale mountain or tunnel. Might just make a hill in one of the corners.

I'm having a hard time finalizing the rest of the surface and layout, but the track design is set. Just can't seem to visualize the rest, so I was just think I'd build/develop ideas as I go.

Thanks in advance for your help. Once I figure out how, I'll get some pictures posted.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why are you painting the foam? Is it just to make it look like soil? If so, you can lay the track so that it/it's roadbed is glued well to the surface. From there, you paint around it and apply ground foam. Once you have your scenery done, you can go ahead and lay your tracks. At least, that is how I would do it. I wouldn't lay the roadbed over paint.

I guess I was just assuming the foam should be painted?

Forgot to mention that I'm using Bachmann N Scale EZ Track. I mean.....Kato Unitrack. Yeah, that's the ticket. No really, Bachmann is what I could afford and since I have all the pieces already, I'm sticking with it.

Regardless, if track/roadbed over foam isn't recommended, I'll lay track first.

I think its easier to paint first, then lay the track. That way you get rid of the pink or blue color quickly and don't have to worry about scenery to cover it right away. Get a dirt color latex paint.

When you start doing the scenery, you can use the same paint and sprinkle in real dirt, yes the free stuff outside. And also the ground grass into the paint as well.

For a modern city, you will want to get some gray latex paint where your roads will go. And use the Woodland Scenics smooth-IT product for the roads.

Last edited by a moderator:
My thoughts are to lay the track on the plain foam then mark it out. Once that is done, mask off where the track will go and paint the remainder of the foam with a "soil" coloured water based paint. It might be an idea to prime the foam first though to prevent the colour soaking into foam and fading over time. Let the paint dry for 24 hours before laying the track then do the rest of your scenery around it.

As for roads, footpaths (sidewalks) go out and buy DAP Plaster of Paris (slow curing version). It is MUCH cheaper than any specific commercial product and you will get a LOT more for your dollar. It also does the same job as the over priced commercial stuff.

Hope this helps,

wombat457

Sounds good, guys. Thanks for the help.

Have any of you used sandpaper for roads? One of the "gurus" at my local shop said it looks good and is easy to work with.

Some types of paint will eat away at the foam. I bought a special paint for use on the foam.

I built a hill once of yellow foam and sprayed it and the paint did eat it away.

lasm

LOL. I remember when I was a kid. My older brother was building a swap boat out of styrofoam. He was always a good modeler. I was looking at it one day and broke a piece off. I tried to glue it back on but everywhere I put the grazy glue the thing disintegrated. By the time I was done only about half the boat was left. Boy, was he mad! :D

Try what you have on a chunk of foam and see if there is a reaction.
Mine was a can of spray paint I had in the garage, the one that disintegrated my hill.

If your supplier is knowledgable, ask them. lasm

Well, I'm planning to use basic water-based latex interior wall paint -- just a light tannish/sandy color (mimicking the soil in the area where I'm modeling) -- on the foam base. (But I plan to paint after I attach the cork roadbed with a foam-friendly caulk adhesive).

When I used the latex wall paint or acrylics on foam I didn't get the eroding. I was trying to do the quick and dirty with the spray paint and that is what caused the problems.

I put the dry sifted sand or ground cover on the wet paint. That helped everything stay in place. I stull had to spray some scenic cement over it to keep everything from blowing around. After all was dry, the shop vac came out. lasm

Logandsawman... I think you are getting gassed a little. What I did years ago, and what I will do again next month is experiment. If I want to paint foam, I'll try the paint on a piece. Or using glues for landscape, etc. Try it on scrap and don't get stressed! Model Railroading should be a stress reliever properly applied haha!

You have to look at the can of paint especially if it says acrylic. Some of the cheaper acrylic sprays actually use a petroleum based medium/thinner to allow the paint to be sprayed. Read what the can says it has. I bet the one you used said "contains petroleum distillates". I've found many spray acrylics with this on the side. Your better ones won't have this.

My layout was built in pieces in my garage, then assembled in a 3rd bedroom. Since it's a finished bedroom (I mean train and hobby room) I won't be able to use spray paint. Won't even consider it. I'm going old fashion brush/roller on this one.

Back