Newby

:D Thank you all for the info on DCC, as I'm starting to venture into DCC the pricing is not really an issue but the only thing i'm most concerned is getting started from the ground up and starting with the basics, and also with all the locos that I have (all 20 of them) with DCC decoders that came with them do I have to make some kind of upgrades to them if I was to select a particular make of DCC controller, and also one more question if it's ok, what is there in a DCC control package or setup, do I have to buy everything seperately?
or is there a complete package ready to be set up and go with the ability to upgrade as mentioned/
I'm shure it comes with a hefty operators manual

Last edited by a moderator:
I was browsing through the photo gallery and I was looking at the 2nd picture by Joe Daddy and by observing the picture, it looks like a rocket scientist put that together or it looks like a telecomm phone bank or something(DCC-Drawer) DCC and wiring.

bnsfjason said:
and also with all the locos that I have (all 20 of them) with DCC decoders that came with them do I have to make some kind of upgrades to them if I was to select a particular make of DCC controller, and also one more question if it's ok, what is there in a DCC control package or setup, do I have to buy everything seperately?
or is there a complete package ready to be set up and go with the ability to upgrade as mentioned/
I'm shure it comes with a hefty operators manual

Hey Jason, the beauty of DCC is you can use any decoder with any controller because NMRA set a standard for communications that must be followed. Also the manufacturers do sell packages that will have everything you need to get started with the control system. I'm sure the other brands Lenz and MRC can be upgraded as you go but I won't swear by it, I do know you upgrade and add to any of the digitrax stuff.

If your layout is flat, then 2-3 locos will pull the 100+ cars you're talking about. The Sippin' and Switchin' Society of NC ran a 107 car train on their display layout at the NMRA convention last month. There's a video of it on YouTube.

If you have some grades, then the real world issues will crop up. You may need another loco, depending on how long the grade is. Remember, a car might weigh about 5oz if it's weighted to NMRA recommendations. 100 cars means 500 oz, or 31+ pounds that the locos are pulling. Though like in real life, the tare weight is minimal depending on how well your wheels roll. Better have good couplers!

Kennedy

If your layout is flat, then 2-3 locos will pull the 100+ cars you're talking about. The Sippin' and Switchin' Society of NC ran a 107 car train on their display layout at the NMRA convention last month. There's a video of it on YouTube.

If you have some grades, then the real world issues will crop up. You may need another loco, depending on how long the grade is. Remember, a car might weigh about 5oz if it's weighted to NMRA recommendations. 100 cars means 500 oz, or 31+ pounds that the locos are pulling. Though like in real life, the tare weight is minimal depending on how well your wheels roll. Better have good couplers!

Kennedy
I have changed all of the couplers to Kadee #58,118,and 158 and i'm experimenting with dummy couplers too, and to add weight i'm using real coal for loads that I got from the closed coal operations here in Ravensdale,WA
but I do crush it down to scale.
I'm planning on using two locos as the leads,and one for DPU at the rear of the train.

Hello Jason and welcome!

I considered using live coal loads myself - I even had a few tubs of HO scale-crushed bituminus - but several members of the Atlas forum talked me out of it. Main reasons:

1) It's heavy - requires alot of extra power on the head end
2) If a derailment occurs and a few hoppers tip over, a major cleanup headache!
3) Dumping and loading operations generate lots of coal dust, which can make your track dirty and -
4) it's explosive, a fire hazard

I'm sure with some good planning and diligence you could overcome these issues, I'm just too lazy myself :eek:

That'll work. The Sippin' guys said they didn't have any trouble running their train all day long with 107 cars. No derailments, no uncouplings. I think all their cars use metal Kadees.

Kennedy

Well I don't plan on running the train at full throttle with a loaded train, I was thinking maybe at 1/3 or 1/4 throttle since most real loaded coal trains don't run at high speeds, I may limit the loads in each cars to avoid over weight.

Back