newby questions

hoboblues75

Model Rail Rider
Did prototypes run cabooses on pre-1980's switching layouts (industrial/shortline railroads)? I am talking what the small 1'x6' HO shelf switcher layouts would model? Would it have been prototypically correct to do so? How often would the caboose have to be actually working with the locomotive, etc?

Please forgive me in advance if this is in the wrong category.

Andy

Depends on whether or not the crew had a lot of cars to move, how far they had to go, company, and current union contract rules.

IIRC, on the SRR, if a train, no matter how long, left the yard limits to do local switching, they had to be accompanied by a caboose.

But remember, its your railroad, and you can run it as you please. You want caboose, you get caboose.

Carey,

thank you for responding. That pretty much answers my question. Thank you! Is it possible that they would operate completely without a caboose or that the railroad leaving the cars on the interchange track (to my shortline) would leave a caboose for them?

so basically the shortline/industrial railroad would operate with no caboose or with only the caboose that the major railroad left behind with the interchanged cars?

No they wouldn't leave a caboose. They bring one if necessary. Cabooses weren't pooled the way locos are. They stayed on home rails only.

Back